New Bosch dishwasher using too much rinse agent

We got a Bosch dishwasher yesterday...model SHE66C. I filled up the rinse agent dispenser before running it.
On the second load, the "low rinse agent" indicator was already on. After it finished, it took another 2 ounces of rinse agent.
At the rate of 1 ounce per load of dishes, rinse agent would bankrupt me. :)
Any idea what's going on?
The dispenser arrow is set to the factory default of 3.

want you to keep it topped off. Is your water hard?

Thanks!
>Is your water hard?

Softened.