New battery powered hammers

I was tempted to buy one of these the last time I was at HD.
Has anyone tried one and what did you think of it? I can think of some pratical uses ie: beteween studs and one handed nailing.
Jim

One what? Don't be shy on details.
Oren wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Given all these details I vote against " battery powered hammers"!
Master Betty wrote:

Palm nailers attached to an air compressor work well.
If the one you saw plugged into the wall, it would probably be equivalent. But batteries? Nah...

That reminds me of an ancient torture device that is seen in too many places...

I've seen ad's for them too... looks like another gimmick to separate you from your money. Along the same lines as battery operated adjustable wrenches.
Erik

A Yankee girl bought Bubba a "battery operated adjustable" wrench.
I laughed. Maybe she likes batteries.
I got one, couple years back, for Xmas. Cute gadget.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 3/27/2010 7:44 PM, Oren wrote:

Was the adjustable wrench SAE or metric? :-)
Don

It was probably adjustable to either; like those electronic micrometers that have a small digital display. Press a small button and it changes over! Remembering that one inch is pretty well 25 mms. One can convert in the head, although thinking in 64ths is a bit of a tussle; along these lines, below, done on a calculator! One 64th = 0.4 mm. One 32th = 0.8 mm. One 16th = 1.6 mm. One 8th = 3.15 mm. One 4th = 6.3 mm. One half = 12.6 mm. One inch = 25.2 mm. Twelve inches = 302 mm. Four feet = 1210 mm. Eight feet = 2419 mm

My adjustable wrench is both SAE and metric. It's a 10" adjustable wrench on one side and with just a flip it becomes a 250mm adjustable wrench. Good thing both sides are marked because I'd never remember which side was which. ;-)
Master Betty wrote:

I can't wait for the CSI show where one is used as a murder weapon.
TDD

Probably take two episodes.... one for the actual murder! ;)
nb
Here it is folks!
(Be sure to watch the thumb hitting test in the video!)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4299320.html
"Master Betty" wrote in message

Master Betty wrote:

Oh, Betty!
Jon

I actually own a Craftsman cordless hammer. Came as a gift, and to be honest, it is a pleasant surprise. In the real world of construction and remodeling, there are situations where swinging a hammer just isn't going to accomplish much except time wasted bending nails. A palm air nailer is nice (I own one), but its a PITA to drag a compressor into a crawl space or up on a roof for a quick job. This tool works nicely, and I will refute the PM finding on joist nails: my CH does them quite well. Slightly slower than a full framing hammer, but then there is no way to swing a FH putting in hurricane ties on trusses in old work. Again, holding a board, a nail and swinging a hammer needs three hands. The CH only takes two hands. Same with construction screws and impact drivers. Watch Mike Holmes Sunday nights on HGTV to see how the pros assemble framing. Nothing wrong with 20th Century tools and methods if your standards are low enough and you have lots of time.
Joe

There was an external usenet error this afternoon. It split your message and put part in the subject line.
On 03/27/10 05:31 pm, Master Betty wrote:

I'll let you know after the one I just bought -- for $29 at HD -- is charged up and ready to go.
$29??? Yes, only $29. That's what the ryobitools.com Web site (click on Promotions) says. My local HD had them marked at $59 but, when confronted by the Web site, they sold it to me for $29 -- and printed the Web page for future reference.
The one disadvantage is that it's a 12v unit, so the batteries aren't interchangeable with the other Ryobi tools I already have.
Perce