New Bathroom Sink Does Not Drain Properly

This is supposed to be easy, right?
I installed a new vanity and sink - hooked everything up and all is functioning except the water drains extremely slow out of the sink. (a couple of minutes for an inch or two of water)
This vanity is slightly higher than the last - a few inches. I needed an extrension for the drain to fit into the pipe, but I cut it with a saw so there was not any extra.
The old sink that was there earlier today drained fine.
Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Take the trap out and put a bucket under the sink tailpiece. See how the water drains into the bucket. If that drains OK, something has gotten into the drain in the wall. If slow draining into bucket, take the pop-up out and look down the drain in the sink. Some pop-ups don't raise high enough and cause slow draining; make sure yours is elevating to max.
Jim

Thanks Jim!
Followed your advice and water flew through when avoiding the trap. So I put Drano crystals down the drain and waitied 15 mins - no help. Repeated and no help. I was pretty sure something got stuck as you said, and I wondered what would happen if I filled the sink all the way up. I did that to see if water would drain faster, and woooosh - something gave way and the line is now clean! Thanks for the quick reply and help!
-JimT

You solved the problem before I could read it; but my first thought was that there may have been a piece of manufacturer's literature in the drain (warranty card, etc.). Whatever it was, it's gone, so good for you.
Joe F.