new bathroom remodel- marble question either polished or honed on wall or floor or both

Hi I am going to have a new bathroom remodeled and will have marble on both the walls and floors.. I would like some feedback regarding having honed on the floor and then polished on the walls? is this a common way to do it? thanks

Honed stone has a texture and is less slippery, so it's a better choice for the floor. With either choice, sealing marble in a bathroom is good practice.

Marble is mainly calcium carbonate, ie the main ingredient in Tums. In other words, marble is eaten by acids. Hence the need for a good protective layer of something. Admittedly, wearing of marble by mild acids will be slow.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

almost every good cleaning product for the bathroom is acidic to some degree. as such, marble won't look good for too long, depending of course, upon how often it's cleaned.

Why would you remodel a brand-new bathroom?

semantic correction will be remodeling an old bathroom..... No one has answered the question-----how will it look having honed on floor and glossy on walls??????

You didn't ask how it would look. You asked if it was a common way to do it. I replied yes.
Safety trumps looks in bathrooms unless you're trying to get rid of the wife.
On 2/19/2011 5:57 PM, KOS wrote:

As long as floor has some sheen to it, it will look fine. I stayed in a hotel once that had polished on the floor- looked impressive as hell, but deadly after stepping out of shower. The little bath mat they provided did little to help, since it wanted to slide too. I learned to hang on to something as I was getting out, and sit on tub edge to dry my feet. I had some choice words for management as I was checking out, that they at least needed non-skid bath mats versus the tiny washable ones that most hotels use these days. All I got in response was a glassy look. I bet that changed once somebody rich enough to afford a lawyer got hurt and sued them.
Not a fan of marble in bathrooms- it is soft, and unless you keep it sealed, porous. I've been in more than one older public building over the years, where they actually PAINTED the marble stall dividers, since they could not clean off the graffiti and other stains. The marble in the lobby of the 1928 wing of my office has obvious staining where people lean against it waiting for elevators, and wherever people touch it as they go around corners or press buttons or flip switches. It has been patched in with faux finish here and there where they did modifications, since apparently nobody could find where it came from, or didn't want to try tracking down the quarry, to get more. Lots of chips on corners, down low, where janitor and delivery carts bang into it. So if your heart is set on marble, get some spares, and box them up carefully, and stash them in the basement where they won't get broken.
--
aem sends....

as you are not a fan of marble for bathrooms, what is your preference
On 2/20/2011 11:37 AM, KOS wrote:

Well, at my low point on the food chain, ceramic tile or solid-surface on wet walls, and some sort of slip-resistant tile for floor, preferably with color all the way through, so any chips from things that get dropped won't show. (Being a bachelor, I'm quite happy with vinyl floors- no grout to keep cleaning and sealing.)
If cost was no object, granite or something similar, with some sort of factory seal that doesn't have to be maintained. Of course, if I could afford fancy walls like that, I could also afford a maid.
--
aem sends...

If you insist on stone, granite is a much better choice. For the floor, though, tile is superior. You can get it as shiny or as non-skid as you want and if done properly it'll last just short of forever.