New basement bathroom plumbing q's?

Hi, My husband is installing a bathroom in the partially finished basement in our new home. He can do concrete, drywall, framing, pretty much everything, but he hasn't done a lot of plumbing, so we are looking for some advice.

The drain for the tub/shower is already roughed in, but it doesn't seem like the contractor left much space in the concrete square for the p trap. Can anyone describe to me how to angle this P trap in properly? Thanks so much!

Reply to
ohhmama

basement

properly?

Are you sure there's not already one installed?

Reply to
Rick

If the drain is in the Trap should be in. Who put the drain in?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

it could be, all I can see is about three inches of 2" pvc pice sticking out of the dirt sideways. The builder put the drain in. Thanks for your quick responses. Is it usually already there? How would we be able to tell?

Reply to
ohhmama

It should have been put in at time of construction and it's a code violation if it wasn't.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

If you don't see water in the pipe looking down into it, then chances are there is no Trap. But first pour some water down the drain it's new so it might be dry.Also can you smell sewer odor from the pipe if so there is no trap. Ask the builder.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

No, the trap isn't installed during the basement rough-in. If the bath is to be installed later, there is no way to know where the trap needs to be.

You may have to break the opening out to get a trap in there if there isn't enough room.

Reply to
Terry

Thanks all. I don't think that there is a trap installed yet, so we will just have to break open the concrete some more to fit it in. Thanks again, I am sure I will be back with more q's soon.

Reply to
ohhmama

Oh Sacramento Dave! we just moved from the Sac area to Kansas. I know we are crazy but just enjoy your weather there. We are frozen solid here, and missing CA.

Reply to
ohhmama

p-trap? What is that? Does each bathroom installed require a p-trap? Or is that the trap that leaves the house?

I have seen traps like the ones under a sink. Is this different and that is why its called "p" trap?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert