New American Standard Champion4 toilet question

Yesterday my neighbor, who has a home improvement business, installed this toilet for me. I do like it but how can we stop the valve from constantly turning off and on?? About every 15 seconds or so the valve with seep a tablespoon or two of water. We've checked the depth of the refill tube and it's and inch below the overflow pipe as directed.

He took the top of the fill valve off and quickly flushed it with water from the new supply line thinking there might be some sort of grit in there. This was done twice but it still continues to turn off and one. What else could be the problem?? The fill valve is aligned correctly according the instructions and the pictures in the installation book. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this annoying problem??

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Frank

(Sigh) I have a laptop, how do you think I'm making this post? I have the instructions which has the toll-free number. I was _hoping_ someone here could perhaps offer a suggestion on how to solve this problem other than directing me to their website.

:-(

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Cover the flapper valve seat with Saran Wrap, sounds like you have a small leak. Or just turn off the supply valve and check the level in the tank in a few hours.

Reply to
Michael B

Buy a new toilet?

Reply to
ransley

You have a leak at the flapper. The water is leaking into the bowl. It can also be leaking around the flapper seat where it seals against the porcelain tank bottom.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It IS a brand spanking new toilet.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

I've turned off the toilet and yes, the water level is half of what it should be in a few hours.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Ok, now you know your tank is leaking. It's either the flapper, flapper seat, tank mounting bolts (too loose), or your tank is cracked (this can happen if you tighten the mounting bolts too tight). Since this is a new unit, I'd suspect the mounting bolts or a cracked tank. Remove the tank, inspect for hairline cracks, and replace the hardware on the bottom. The time spent messing around is worth more than the parts; do it all.

Reply to
keith

People are referring to a "flapper valve," but if the Champion 4 is anything like our earlier-model Champion there is no flapper valve.

Ours has a cylindrical part (which ISTR that AS calls the "flush tower") with a rubber ring installed in a groove at the bottom. On ours that rubber ring tends to get flabby and has sometimes come out of the groove at one point -- and sometimes has fallen off altogether.

So, if yours is constructed like ours, check that that ring is seated properly. Also call AS, and they will likely send you a package of rings.

We have found that after leaving flabby rings to dry for a few weeks they will work again for quite a while. However, I have to say that an aftermarket ring we got at Menards (and with a 3-year warranty -- but it cost less than $5 anyway) seems to be lasting much better than the genuine AS ones. Probably a different rubber mix.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Then why not contact the manufacturer who is is very likely going to be the best one to offer advice since they made it and would be in a position to know if a bad lot was produced or something similar happened and will be in a position to make it good?

Reply to
George

Lift the flapper and feel around the flapper seat checking for damage or deformities. Also check that the flapper is installed correctly and seats properly.

I had a toilet "chatter" in the middle of the night. Removed the tank lid, wiped the cooties (slim) off the seat and flapper and the flapper has been seated ever since.

If the tank was broken (cracked) or the tank bolts failed water would be on the floor.

Reply to
Oren

He said that this is a new toilet, so there should be no sludge. It could be a deformed flapper or seat, though.

Not necessarily. The bolts are over the back of the bowl and it will tend to leak down into the bowl, as long as it's slow enough.

Reply to
keith

If the tank does have a flapper valve, and ii turns out that it is causing the leak down problem, FluidMaster make a really neat replacement flapper/seat kit.

Not a lot of money, it includes a stainless steel seat, easily attached to the old seat with a kind of sticky gasket material that conforms to and fills any irregularities in the old seat - once pressed into place, it will last for years.

And ya don't have to take the toilet apart to do the job.

Joe

Reply to
J O E

Yes, that's what we've about determined the problem is. I talked with a plumbing supply parts guy today and he also said it's the 'flapper' on the tower. He also said it's extremely difficult to get connected to a real human at American Standard and when calling to continually press the O for operator on the phone. Their automated system will eventually connec to a live person. Thanks to you and Keith for the helpful answers.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

And thank you to you, too! Why is it anything installed never goes smoothly or works correctly the first time???

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Where can I purchase this wonderful replacement flapper??? Stuff like this is really aggravating on a brand new throne.

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann

Pulling the tank off a new throne is easy. After everything corrodes, not so much.

Reply to
krw

One word: finesse.

Down south we called it holding your mouth right.

Reply to
Oren