New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi
I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.
I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it was clean before applying the paint.
It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.
Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?
Mark
Mark K wrote:

Norminn wrote:

how long did you let the concrete dry after cleaning and etching
Hi About 18 hours
Cheers Mark

Hi
No it's 15 yrs old. I etched it as that was the preperation the instructions on the can gave and no primer was recomended
Cheers

Mark,
Give the manufacturer a call. They often list a consumer help phone number on the can.
Dave M.
Aren't you supposed to do something inbetween the eching and painting (besides let it dry completely). And what's the temperature and humidity there?
Hi
I've followed the instructions exactly. Humidity 50% & 24Celcius
Cheers Mark
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Dave
Yes, I've asked at the place I bought it from. They are going to get somebody to call - no luck yet.
Mark

Mark K wrote:

But was it bone dry?

Did you use a paint specifically formulated for concrete? Paint products vary widely in their properties,. For example, acrylics are superior for outdoor use, polyurethanes are best for wear resistance and epoxies are noted for good adhesion to concrete. Consider visiting a real paint store, like Sherwin-Williams, for advice and council, in addition to a phone call to customer service of the company that made your paint. Understanding the product is the key to success. Good luck.
Joe
Hi I told the harware where I bought it that it was for concrete. They recomnded this acrylic paving paint.
Cheers Mark

| Hi | | I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago. | | | I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it | was clean before applying the paint. | | It is now bubbling in the heat of the day. | | Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them? | | Mark
the paint should be "epoxy acrylic" NOT "acrylic"
concrete stain works better. http://www.concrete-stains.com / |

imho:
I was warned against using regular paint on concrete, that moisture will migrate and seperte the paint from the concrete, especially if you seal. I'm guessing this bubble is just that.
I'm guessing here, but many concrete paints are epoxies. Might be a reason for that.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Mark K wrote:

I looked at some of the thread, and your replies. This is a deck or patio? My guess, if the paint wasn't defective, is that you did not allow sufficient time in dry weather for drying - 2 or 3 days min. Concrete always has some moisture, which is why water based paint is best. Some idea of the size of the job and how extensive the bubbling is will help. Small bubbles can be poked with a pin - it allows moisture to escape, the bubbles flatten, and if the paint film is otherwise intact and secure they won't show as much. If there is abrasion or if you pressure wash after, then, of course, the loose paint would likely come off.
Another possibility is that the acid wasn't washed off thoroughly and the reaction continued after you painted, forming gas under the paint film.
If you need to pressure wash and start over, I can give you tips in how to contain all the loose paint that comes off :o) Hubby and I invented a method when our condo (peeling very badly) was repainted several years ago - the contractor was impressed :o)
Many thanks for your reply. I have been away OS for work, so have not had a chance to get back.
It is the "veranda" along the side of the house. A covered walkway to our front door - not a lot of traffic though. The bubbling is from the size of a coin to 3 or 4 times that size.
some tips on the "pressure wash and start over" may be handy in time by the looks of it.
Many thanks, Mark

You might be lucky and have whats left last, if you do remove it with a power washer dont guess buy a moisture meter to check the concretes dryness.
Did you perform a chloride test on the concrete before you decided to paint?
Do the bubbles contain water?
I suspect you have hydrostatic pressure pushing water up. All concrete paints and sealers require testing and understanding of water perms. There are many floor finishes/sealers/adhesives/ that cannot be used with concrete floors that have a water transmission factor above a certain level.
--
DanG

message
Mark K wrote:

First commandment for DIYers: Don't seek advice from your brother-in-law or any sales clerk :o)
Second commandment: RTFL.