New AC System in Va

Hi;
Need a new AC system in my house in Va. I am in the US Military and currently live in Korea.
An AC Contractor is quoting me $5780 to replace my residential AC / Furnace with the following 3 ton unit: Model 38BRC036 3ton R-22 a/c unit 12SEER CD5AXW036021 EVAPORATOR COIL MODEL 58STA110 GAS FURNACE, WITH A 20 YR HEAT EXCHANGER WARRANTY, INSTALLED PRICE $5780.00
I have seen a 13 SEER Goodman Dual Fuel heat pumps with a 90K 93% Gas Furnace on the internet for 2350. I am debating whether I should fly back to Va and do the job myself. If I fly back to Va, it will cost me roughly 900 for the flight and I can stay with family. Thus I would be saving over 2500 dollars and I would be getting a higher seer unit with a 2 stage variable speed compressor.
Some of the questions I have are these: 1) How much of the 5780 that the contractor is quoting is equipment and how much is actual labor / mark ups? It would be bennificial for me to pay to have the job done if the total labor cost was less than $2,000. 2) How intensive is an AC Install? (I am a Sheetmetal worker by trade.) I am thinking that I put the condensor in place, the furnace in place, and hook up a few electrical connections. I then sweat / bolt the refrigerent lines and call out an AC Shop to verify all conections, vacume the lines and turn it on. 3) If I call out an AC Shop to verify the install, I would think that I could get them to verify the system install for less than a couple hundred. Is this true?
Some Background. I am a Sheetmetal worker by trade. I have a Universal License in Air Conditioning. I even taught automotive AC Systems for a local community college. I have never worked on any residential HVAC systems. I am a very serious do-it-yourselfer. I have built additions on houses. I have even completey removed and replaced an entire house electrical system.
The interesting thing about this whole thing is that for the last three years I have been talking about going to school and getting into the residential HVAC bussiness when I return to the states. I could actually use this project as part of my education!
I am open to any advice and would appreciate any feedback.
Pat
Do yourself a favor: Get at LEAST 3 quotes (not estimates) and go with a quality installer.
I personally would stay away from Goodman.......

And NO warranty...none...ever...it breaks cause you installed it wrong, its over..buy another one. Thats in goodmans warranty BTW.
Oh...and thats a hell of a lot more than a legit contractor can get that crap for.

Ask your contractor. I get called lowball by alot of guys, and im not even.

I wont even touch a homeowner installed unit.

Not with a legitimate contractor.

Im in NC, and IIRC, VA has gone to a licence system close to ours....meaning, a homeowner legally cant install a unit.

Bullshit. Goodman has a strong warrranty which they honor 100%. Every new builder uses goodman to keep costs down and quality up, good unit that gets no respect as guys try to sell you an adverted model. Buy the furnace and a/c on ebay, that way you have a 100% gtee as it was bought from a traditional retailer.

Bullshit yourself. Builders use Goodman because it is cheap. Period. It is also a POS, but better (less bad?), than it used to be. Still a POS.
Stretch
But, they sell 5000 or more per day.

For a while there, Goodman was offering a lifetime warranty on their compressors (to the original owner) on their 14 SEER and above units. Now someone told me they stopped doing that. What happened? I thought that was their big selling point to try and get the contractors back. Are they still selling them to anyone off the street or is some middle man (with a legitimate license) buying them up and selling them on the internet?
We installed a furnce and A/C in a customer's house (not a Goodman) and her son stopped by and said he had a heat pump he bought and wanted to know if we would install it. He said it was a 14 SEER Goodman he bought from a company in Florida. (FLORIDA???!!) He was in a hurry to have it installed but he didn't even have the equipment yet. I told him to call us when it comes in and I would talk to someone in the office about installing it. Normally I would say no but since it's the son of one of our regular customers, I would consider it. Well he called and said that a truck dropped it off and there was a bunch of dents in the condensing unit. He had noticed it AFTER the truck left and he went through the whole story of how he called the trucking company and had them come all the way back to his house (the truck had been gone for a couple hours already) because he was a lawyer and he was going to cause a lot of stink if they DIDN'T come back. Anyway, he said he would call when the new unit was received. In the meantime, he had us come back out to his mother's house to "correct" some things that had nothing to do with our install. I went out with the service guy on one of the calls and even his mother couldn't understand why he had us come back out (this time it was the water pipes making a noise and had nothing to do with the furnace or A/C).
Hmmmm.......lawyer. And a pain in the ass one at that....
We won't be installing THAT system. Maybe he can call Goodman and have them suggest someone......
Bullshit yourself. NO WARRANTY whatsoever when a Goodman is purchased through the internet. ...and every builder that uses it does so because the shit is cheap. Its cheap for a reason. Figure it out. Personally, I love em. Best damn parts dump ever. Loads and loads of repairs. Bubba
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:37:24 -0500, "Rush Limballs"

I'd suggest to get the HVAC company lined up before you start the work. Most HVAC companies won't touch a system that someone else started, they want to do the entire job.
As for myself, I've been doing HVAC installs for the last five years. Even these years later, I'm really amazed at how many details there are to know, do, parts to stock, and so on. In any case, please let us know how things turn out.
From those numbers, I'm not sure what brand of equipment the HVAC shop is suggesting. And if I did, I don't quote wholesale costs in a public forum.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

No duct work involved. Contractor said he would use the existing ones. I believe the model is a Carrier system based on the part number he quoted.
Read a Consumer Reports poll of 35000 over 5 years on Furnace Reliability. All the manufacturers were within 5% or so of each other except Goodymans , they took an overall outstanding LAST place by a undeniably wide margin. If their quality has changed as some say how can you know for 10 years till another poll is taken, you can`t. Repairmen here love them they say, because they repair for a living. Salesman love them because they are the cheapest and can underbid anything. I wont buy one, nobody informed will.

Goodmans are great values. They sell millions of them and the quality is about the same as the others.
If you request quotes on an installed goodman, you can get it installed by a professional for less than $3600.

God..I hope so, since the total value wholesale of Goodman crap in the same stuff he needs is WAY under $1200 Yea..Goodmans a GREAT value...you get what you pay for....in this case. Hyundai was a great value in 86 too....LOL

Oh my gawd yer killin me. One blanket price for any install anywhere in the US. I love it. Your so stupid. Honestly though, I do like your idea. I wish everyone in America signed up for one of those deals. If you can manage it, please let me know first because Im going to have to purchase a warehouse to stock all the parts Im going to be replacing. Im goina be rich. Bubba