New a new refrigerator - any recommendations?

Page 2 of 3

"Robert Green" wrote

I was wondering if that might be an issue. Some folks even on freecycle will help with moving.

Grin, It's lots of reasons but you'll find after a while, many of us have posted at least a first name. Though they often refer to me as 'cshenk' or 'Shenk' there's plenty here who will pop up and tell you I'm Carol if asked.
There's quite a few regulars here who are ladies if you didn't know that. Oddly, I think a higher percentage than in most groups. Every now and again, you'll see a little OT note about something related to that and it can ge pretty funny when someone new finds out the 'guy who was helping them learn how to (insert whatever)' was a lady. D might be Debbie!

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

Do they still make them like that?

Probably not.

Yes they do. My mother bought a new one for my sons house a few months ago and I she had me pick it out for her. If you want I can call her and ask her if she knows the make and model.
wrote

<Yes they do. My mother bought a new one for my sons house a few months ago and I she had me pick it out for her. If you want I can call her and ask her if she knows the make and model.>
I would appreciate knowing the make/model if you don't mind, and any gripes she might have about it. I've been Googling about what's best, side by side, freezer top and freezer bottom. I think, because it's a small kitchen, I would go with side-by-side, although one site claimed they were less efficient than the over-under design.
Thanks for your input, Molly. Are you really unsinkable or is that just a rumor? (0:
-- Bobby G.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04672979000P?prdNo=18
I'm not sure if she has any gripes about it. It's hard to tell when it comes to my mother. She said something about a noise but when I asked her how often the refrigerator makes that noise she wasn't sure. For all I know it could be the ice maker making ice.

Whats the point of having it on the back as a peference, I got a sears a few years ago because it was the most efficent I could get, the coil is underneath, so efficency isnt a reason, The old 20 yr unit I replaced is on the back, so it shoudnt be resessed in a tight area.

Unless you have a character like Felix Unger or Monk you either will neglect to clean the coil under it or you wont be able to clean it enough which will cause the compressor to overheat and shorten its life or the condenser fan which is a necessity when you have the condenser coil in the bottom will burn out its motor for one reason or another and you will not notice it which will again cause the compressor to overheat and shorten its life. As far as efficiency goes I dont know what kind of logic or formula the air heads use to calculate that but how is running a condenser fan motor which uses electricity more efficient than not running one? They probably use the same logic they apply to dishwashers that use less water but take twice as long to wash the dishes, and no it shouldnt be recessed in a tight area but thank God we dont live in a third world country where every home is a tight area.
On 6/26/2010 6:27 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

The very expensive high end priced up in the clouds home refrigerators that are built more like commercial units have the condenser on top where it should be. The fan/coil on the bottom acts like a vacuum cleaner and grabs every bit of dust and debris kicked up by people walking about a kitchen. It's the same thing with a PC when folks put it on the floor under or next to their desk. I have a long brush and a Shop-Vac that I use when servicing home refrigerators. Molly is right about the convection cooled condenser coil covering the back of a fridge, it's the only type that is virtually plug in and forget. About the only problem you'll have with one is the mechanical motor driven defrost timer or evaporator fan motor.
TDD
On 06/26/2010 07:00 PM, ransley wrote:

so you can clean it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

staying
<I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.>
What are the other options and why are they not good?
-- Bobby G.
The other option is condensor under the fridge, and fan to blow the heat out. I prefer the condensor under models. I figure the fan forced air is more effective.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Bottom or back are the options. Back is easier if you can move the fridge to clean the coils now and again. They last longer but you have to sporadically do that it seems. Also you have to leave more freespace behind with those models.
Bottom coil units don't get cleaned the same and seem to not need that. Probably sounds to me like a better unit for your needs would be the bottom fan type.

Are you kidding me? You should see some of the dust that I come across every time I look at the condenser coil under peoples refrigerators. Its like winter wonderland in an alternate universe down there.

Are you kidding me? You should see some of the dust that I come across every time I look at the condenser coil under peoples refrigerators. Its like winter wonderland in an alternate universe down there.
reply: I have never seen a refrigerator that wasn't seriously dusted up, and I never met a homeowner who knew it was there and required cleaning. I just finally convinced my wife after eight years that refrigerators need side and back clearance. She built a custom kitchen, and left 1/4" clearance all around, and pushed the fridge back to the wall, leaving no clearance all around. The fridge died last week. It is good to pull your fridge from the wall, open that up every once in a while, and either vacuum with a long pointy nozzle, or blow it out with air.

Hi. My name is not Bob. ;)
Yes, I know about it. After buying a repair manual and learning how to replace defrost cycle timer, defrost ice-encased frostless coils, and generally tear the thing apart, I learned much. I also learned you DO need to clean them coils. It was hot where I lived and dirty coils meant the difference between mere hours and two days to freeze a tray of ice. Once a year cleaning is enough.
nb

I guess I'm an exception then. I'm not happy with the current fridge in my house because I haven't a clue how to clean the coils. The last one was bad enough. But the girl wanted a bottom-freezer, French door model, so options were limited. I guess in the next year or so I will have to make the effort to puzzle it out.
And yes, the old fridge (inherited from POs) had quite large dust hares in residence underneath. I did clean it, shortly before it started running all the time and making even more noise than usual. It was dated 1988 though so I guess it didn't owe anyone anything.
nate

fridge
behind
bottom
<I guess I'm an exception then. I'm not happy with the current fridge in my house because I haven't a clue how to clean the coils. The last one was bad enough. But the girl wanted a bottom-freezer, French door model, so options were limited. I guess in the next year or so I will have to make the effort to puzzle it out.>
I put a fan in the window set to exhaust, fire up the central vac and stick the nozzle underneath and blast it with compressed air. A snowstorm of dust appears. Some goes in the vacuum, most gets sucked up by the window fan. Then I vacuum the fan and the window screen. Then, a few days later I flush the freezer drain line because the blown around dirt seems to get into that "system" and the drain get clogged at the elbow fitting at the top of the refrigerator compartment.
Wife wants a double door but I dunno . . . Wouldn't even know where to look for the condensate drain line.
I saw a Harbor Freight refrigerator cleaning tool when I didn't need it but can't seem to find it now.
-- Bobby G.
Swapsheet, craigslist, Goodwill, referalls, word of mouth, etc. Buy used.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus