new A/C compressor concern

Hello, I have recently had a new 3 ton compressor installed, but physically, it isn't very stable. All of its feet are not touching the ground, so a slight touch can make it rock. The movement isn't huge, but it makes me think that it will wear out quicker, and may vibrate itself into a problem.

I complained to the a/c person who installed it, but he claims it's perfectly safe and won't cause any problems.

Would anyone care to comment? I think I have a problem waiting to happen!

Thanks.

Reply to
Sarah

Are you saying the outside case moves? It shouldn't. Call the manufacturer and raise hell about the installer.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Yes, the big fan device outside the house.

Reply to
Sarah

The "big fan device" outside the house contains the condenser, a fan pulling air thru it and the compressor (usually located middle bottom on rubber shock mounts).

The "big fan device" should be rigid, only the compressor should have play in its mounting.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Thanks Jim. The whole unit moves. I knew it wasn't right (even if I didn't know what it was!)

Reply to
Sarah

It should be instaled stable, you dont want your lines flexing,

Reply to
mark Ransley

That's alright... my wife would call it "that thingy in the side yard" ;-)

Is it mounted on a concrete slab? Probably not perfectly level and the installer is too lazy to put some shims/washers in place.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Not really...it will however create a condition where the filler material for the sweated on lineset may crack and leak.

Was he a cheap hack? Cheap hacks think things like this..

You probably do. I suggest a couple of things.

One, call the maker of the unit, and complain about the installer. Now, the installer will prob be a dealer for the company, and if he is legit, will get a call to come fix it and make it right. If he is an unlicenced hack, you need to call someone that knows what materials to use in case he didnt....and just pay to get it set right...about $75 should cover it, labor and all. If hes unlicenced, you also need to call your state licence board, if it has one, and give them his name, and a copy of a reciept if you have one, with his name and method of payment to them, and let them shut him down.

Reply to
CBHvac

Not only should the unit be stable but just as important the unit should be perfectly level. An unlevel unit will cause premature bearing failure of the cooling fan bearings. I agree with the above posters, call the manufacturer and report him. They will make sure he makes it right for you. He has to have a license you can't even buy RC134 without it.

Reply to
Randd01

manufacturer and

I always put the condensers I set out of level.

Usually about a quarter inch per foot in one direction.

Reply to
HeatMan

manufacturer and

At the present moment, anyone can buy R134...its R22 and R410 that is presently used in central air units.

Reply to
CBHvac