never used a socket wrench

I have a few hex screws that i would like to remove. I bought a bit for my drill at home depot and lost it on the way home. I remembered that i had an old socket wrench set. Could someone tell me how this works? I see at the 'head' of the rachet a turning figure, but don't know its purpose. I assume they work on the same principle of clock wise and counter clock wise...turning it counter clock wise had no effect...what is the purpose of that 'turning lever' on the head? I manipulated it to see if i get any effect, especially counter clock wise, but there was no friction. Yes, at least i know that i have the proper size, cause i felt the tension tightening it..

Reply to
Frenchie

I can't wait to see the replies to this one.

Sorry that I cannot assist.

Reply to
Thomas

Frenchie wrote the following:

Turn one way to unscrew bolts, turn the other way to screw in bolts.

Reply to
willshak

Thomas wrote the following:

She's french.

Reply to
willshak

Hi, Troll!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Either that or incredibly dumb ;)

Reply to
Frank

Dear Frenchie:

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Words to live by.

HellT

That's because in Europe their sex is all metric and ours is *standard* and just doesn't fit their openings. Ever try it? You turn and turn the sockets but they just skip without grabbing. It's a good way to strip your nuts if you ask me.

-- PMS

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Prolly one of them Mormons.

Reply to
Hugh Jass

Have another glass of Chablis my dear. Now try some chardonnay. Now some merlot. Now some Ripple. And some Beaujolais. Repeat as needed.

The problem will dissolve before your eyes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

WAIT! WAIT! INCOMING PROPHESY .............................

Reply to
Steve B

Try the old car repair book, How To Keep Your Volkswagon Alive. It shows all the basics and even warns the reader to not eat the wrench.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
jimmy

Hot on the left, cold on the right.

Words to live by.

Reply to
TimR

That thing is called a Rat Shit. You can only use it if there are rats in your garage.

Reply to
greenview.nursinghome