never used a socket wrench

I have a few hex screws that i would like to remove. I bought a bit for my drill at home depot and lost it on the way home. I remembered that i had an old socket wrench set. Could someone tell me how this works? I see at the 'head' of the rachet a turning figure, but don't know its purpose. I assume they work on the same principle of clock wise and counter clock wise...turning it counter clock wise had no effect...what is the purpose of that 'turning lever' on the head? I manipulated it to see if i get any effect, especially counter clock wise, but there was no friction. Yes, at least i know that i have the proper size, cause i felt the tension tightening it..
I can't wait to see the replies to this one.
Sorry that I cannot assist.
Thomas wrote the following:

She's french.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Frenchie wrote the following:

Turn one way to unscrew bolts, turn the other way to screw in bolts.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Frenchie wrote:

Troll!
On 9/22/2011 11:11 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Either that or incredibly dumb ;)
On 9/22/2011 12:44 PM, Frank wrote:

Prolly one of them Mormons.

WAIT! WAIT! INCOMING PROPHESY .............................
On 9/22/2011 9:21 AM, Frenchie wrote:

Dear Frenchie:
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Words to live by.
HellT
> Grow up people....Europe has much more open and saner views on sex, > nuditiy, marriage, etc.....too bad Americans won't or can't learn this....
That's because in Europe their sex is all metric and ours is *standard* and just doesn't fit their openings. Ever try it? You turn and turn the sockets but they just skip without grabbing. It's a good way to strip your nuts if you ask me. -- PMS

Have another glass of Chablis my dear. Now try some chardonnay. Now some merlot. Now some Ripple. And some Beaujolais. Repeat as needed.
The problem will dissolve before your eyes.
Steve
Frenchie wrote:

Try the old car repair book, How To Keep Your Volkswagon Alive. It shows all the basics and even warns the reader to not eat the wrench.
As a mechanic I once had a woman as an assistant, when ever she used a wrench to loosen or tighten a nut she would sing...RIGHTY TIGHTY....LEFTY LOOSEY.... $15.00 per hour....equal rights.....
On 9/22/2011 10:21 AM, Frenchie wrote:

Hot on the left, cold on the right.
Words to live by.
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Frenchie

That thing is called a Rat Shit. You can only use it if there are rats in your garage.