Never heard in 50 years, heard a day later.

It was yesterday or the day before that I agreed with someone, maybe went further, and said I had never heard an emergency alert on the radio or tv, even though I had heard those annoying test tones at least a dozen times a year for the last 50 or more years.

Well. just now, maybe less than a day later, I heard one. I was listening to WTOP, an all news radio station in Washington DC. I was listening to the webcast which is identical to what goes over the air. I was muting the station but I heard part of the tone, and maybe "This is an alert" so I went back to it, and heard a complet alert, from Sterling Va. for a tornado, which had been seen near there. This was at 7:53 and the alert was in effect until 8:15, and they listed parts of

3 counties that you have never hard up. Stafford, Culpepper, and another.

Fairly rural areas and quite far from me, but that doesn't change the coincidence.

Quite amazign that 24 hours after I tabulate 50 years comes an excepttion, the first exception, to those 50 years.

=----

And at 8:04 A woman with an intense voice "We interrupt this program with important emergency information to fllow". [followed by the introductory tones] [an intense message, extending the time to midnight and extending the area to mid-Maryland] [followed by the closing tones... Did you realize they are different?] Then the same woman with a different tone of voice, more typical of the news, talking a little and introducing an ABC news guy. He claimed the alert was just until 8:15, which is only a few minutes from now.

.
Reply to
micky

yaaaawn...^o^

Reply to
bob_villa

micky posted for all of us...

You have been alerted, but the invasion is just beginning...

Reply to
Tekkie®

My cellphone woke me up at about 1:30 am today, recommending that we go to the basement. I'm confident that if I'd gone to the living room and turned on the TV, it would have told me the same thing, since I've seen emergency alerts on TV before (quite often on something recorded, so it doesn't do me a lick of good).

Instead of taking my cellphone's advice, we went out to the screen porch and watched the thunderstorm for about an hour. It was a good one, with pretty much constant lightning, hard rain, wind, and a bonus light show when something fell across the power lines about two doors down. Repeatedly.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don't know that you would see the same thing, at least not here in NJ. I know many, many times I've been watching TV and seen a simple ticker that is from the TV station and not from the special emergency warning system for storm alerts. It doesn't kick the station off, take over the tv, and sound the warning buzzer, like the actual emergency warning thing does. They've used it for what you're talking about, eg severe thunderstorm alerts, flash flood alerts, etc. It's just a scrolling ticker, clearly from the station. This other emergency warning thing that they test every week, puts up a big, very different looking banner together with the buzzing alert.

Another major difference that shows it's not the emergency warning system that is used for the typical storm alerts is this. I have a Tivo. If I'm watching a recorded program, this annoying emergency system test stops the Tivo from playing the recorded program, and instead kicks it back to live TV, where the stupid test thing plays for 20 secs or so. I have seen it do that many times and assume it does it with other DVRs too. It's never done that except for the weekly test.

Reply to
trader_4