Neutralize Muriatic acid

Page 3 of 3

Have you ever worked with Muriatic acid, if not beware the fumes will seriously damage your lungs, Muriatic is a fuming acid and there is no way to avoid it, if you are in the pool likely the fumes will concentrate and stay in the pool, A very good respirator is a must but even that wont protect you 100%. It might be a job to pay to get done and not subject your lungs to. Muriatic also eats galvanising off pipes quickly, then they rust fast. I would not let acid sit in a pool, but neutralise it or have it drain while being diluted with alot of water. If pipes are pvc there is no issue but the drain may not be. There is wrong and right way to do the job you need to research it. Ive washed with muriatic and it made me sick for days from the fumes.
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:12:22 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Tanks for the safety tips.
This is a shallow, 10,000 gallon pool. PVC pipes and sewer lines.
I'm being cautious and may hire the job out, but I now know more of what to ask a company that would do the wash.
I'm leaning towards doing the job over a weekend....

My neighbor had to fill in his pool , he said over years of cleaning with acid the drain leaked and the pool would not hold water anymore, bleach kills mold, soap might work, research before you clean it.
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:13:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley

My pool is tens years old. As far I know it has never been acid washed.
Draining and cleaning will give me a chance to inspect and repair any damage.....

Also be aware that draining a pool puts a whole bunch of new stresses on it. Might want to Google it before draining.
--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80 /

Want a good newsgroup reader that will filter out GoogleGroups spam?

Directed to my reply...

Yes. I don't have a water table problem. My pool should not float out of the ground. Good point!

Especially if the ground is clay or has a high water table... Pop goes the weasel...