Neutralize Muriatic acid

2: Muriatic Acid: same questions, basically:

> > ? ?How much, for how long, etc. > > ? ?Dangers?

Drained Pool (pending)!

How or what can I use to neutralize Muriatic acid/water pool ?

I plan to acid wash the in ground pool walls. While I'm busy there (walls) the acid wash will pool at the deep end of the pool.

I would like to toss/pour something into the puddle that would neutralize acid; until I can pump it out.

Thanks!!

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Any base. Bicarbonate of soda is cheap and easy. If the mix fizzes and doesn't stop you need more bicarb.

Reply to
dadiOH

mix fizzes and

add water and pump down sewer. sometimes the soultion is dilution.

a chemical fizzing in your pool might damage it

Reply to
hallerb

Check out

"How To Acid-Wash a Swimming Pool"

or

"Pool Tip #20: Acid Washing"

They recommend sodium carbonate (aka soda ash).

Reply to
Erma1ina

Don't think you have to be concerned . Some pool owners use muriatic aid to lower ph.

Reply to
David B.

I would greatly dilute it (run a constant stream of water into the bottom of the pool) and pump it out constantly. Otherwise the (still active) acid will eat away the grout at the bottom of the pool. You may end up with a very pebbly finish or you may destroy the grout in that area completely.

Reply to
Walter R.

Household ammonia

Reply to
Phisherman

Have you ever worked with Muriatic acid, if not beware the fumes will seriously damage your lungs, Muriatic is a fuming acid and there is no way to avoid it, if you are in the pool likely the fumes will concentrate and stay in the pool, A very good respirator is a must but even that wont protect you 100%. It might be a job to pay to get done and not subject your lungs to. Muriatic also eats galvanising off pipes quickly, then they rust fast. I would not let acid sit in a pool, but neutralise it or have it drain while being diluted with alot of water. If pipes are pvc there is no issue but the drain may not be. There is wrong and right way to do the job you need to research it. Ive washed with muriatic and it made me sick for days from the fumes.

Reply to
ransley

My neighbor had to fill in his pool , he said over years of cleaning with acid the drain leaked and the pool would not hold water anymore, bleach kills mold, soap might work, research before you clean it.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks. I'm reading two pounds of soda ash will neutralize one gallon of muriatic acid.

My acid wash will already be diluted (1 part acid to 4-6 parts water).

Reply to
Oren

If I neutralize the acid wash, can't I pump back into the yard? And not send it down the sewer.

The reason I want to neutralize the mixture... as I work.

Reply to
Oren

Thanks. the second link suggest a pre-post acid wash using TSP and water. I like that suggestion.

Reply to
Oren

I haven't read about using ammonia! Got a link?

Reply to
Oren

Tanks for the safety tips.

This is a shallow, 10,000 gallon pool. PVC pipes and sewer lines.

I'm being cautious and may hire the job out, but I now know more of what to ask a company that would do the wash.

I'm leaning towards doing the job over a weekend....

Reply to
Oren

My pool is tens years old. As far I know it has never been acid washed.

Draining and cleaning will give me a chance to inspect and repair any damage.....

Reply to
Oren

Also be aware that draining a pool puts a whole bunch of new stresses on it. Might want to Google it before draining.

Reply to
Calab

Directed to my reply...

Yes. I don't have a water table problem. My pool should not float out of the ground. Good point!

Reply to
Oren

Especially if the ground is clay or has a high water table... Pop goes the weasel...

Reply to
Robert Neville

I would not suggest pumping into the yard. The product of bicarbonate and muriatic acid is sodium chloride (salt) solution. Your lawn may not like that.

Reply to
Gary Dyrkacz.

No link (chemistry class). But, if you should add too much ammonia there won't be a problem, plus it is cheap. The ammonia reacts with HCl and produces a salt. You will get a (harmless) white smoke if both liquids are close to each other. Properly dispose of any excess muriatic acid--you really don't want this stuff laying around.

Reply to
Phisherman