network

Page 2 of 2
Hi, Like I said, I have seen it working at ~1000 feet. Tony
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:14:47 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

RS232 communications is far different from 802.3 ethernet. And the RS232 standard has no distance, it is based on cable type.

Not as easily.
Jeff
I am far from a networking expert, but I am not sure that you'll get full 100mbps between 2 ethernet cards unless you have a router, such as a DSL/Cable router, which are almost a necessity if you have broadband.
Running cable is cheap and easy. I have a big server in the basement, and a little laptop. I can load software from the server to the laptop over the wire at 100mbps, with no perceptible bottleneck. You won't have the security worries with wire that you do with wireless.
And having 2 small kids in my house, I feel more comfortable knowing that I am not frying their little brains with radio waves...but let's not start a debate...

Hi, Hardware capability is always ahead of software supporing it. Router has different kinds, what cpu is driving it for an example. Running networks has many parameters for many different things. Not as simple as one might think. Yes, let's not start a debate. Probably your microwave oven in the kitchen is more risk than a wireless stuffs on computer. Don't you use cordless phone? Don't you have overhead electric utility in your neighborhood? No cell phone? We're soaked in electro-magnectic field everywhere! Tony