network

Page 1 of 2
I've got about 100 ft. to go including up and down the walls between two rooms. I can't as yet come up with a better idea than string the cable down through a hole in the ceiling. Any better ideas?
Will 100 ft on a 100 LAN work?
Thanks, : -)
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:26:29 -0700, "Not so quick"
It works wonderfully in my home.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Hi, It'll work at 1000 feet too. Now wireless is becoming more popular. Also heard 2.4GHz cordless phones interfering with wireless WAP. Tony

The maximum length for a 100BaseT UTP network segment is 100M (328feet) It might work at 1000 feet, but that is much longer than it was designed to work at, unless you have an active device in there somewhere to extend it (hub, switch, router, bridge, etc)
@fed1read01>:

Fish it down through the walls...

have you thought about using a wireless network? I know linksys (http://www.linksys.com /) has some good equipment to do this. It should save you a lot of time running cable.
Greetings,
txoutdoors wrote:

You'll not get nearly the bandwidth. What's wireless at the moment, 11Mbits? I don't know anyone who's ever been disappointed after running copper.
--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt

Not to mention that copper is much more secure, by default.
Wireless can be made secure, but not right out of the box.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Hi, 128 bit encoded WEP is pretty secure! But then I noticed lot of people use WAP on default setting out of box w/o WEP enabled, RF power level adjusted, or firewall configured. Tony

My point exactly.
Barry
Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said...

That's what I do because I don't want to slow the connection down with unnecessary encryption. Cable internet loops are insecure enough that I am not worred about somebody tapping into my connection. Besides, I live on a 2.5 acre lot with the house right in the middle. I can barely get a signal on my porch.
Actually on the win-home list this was just discussed and there was a solution to up the bandwidth btw floors and through walls. http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/win-home.html search on wireless network, last 2 weeks.
--
Claudia
__________________________________
Brad wrote:

Hi, You can have a repeater, you can use better antenna, if you want wireless, it is possible even on 10 acre lot. How encryption slow down things? Can you elaborate on it? Even wired connection uses encryption. Secured computing(like military, foreign servies, etc.) is always using some sort of encryption. Tony

Every time you process something, it takes time. Encrypted data is processed at least two more times than unencrypted data.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Hi, but we look at over all thruput not snapshot of how things are done. Tony
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:12:42 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Not exactly. Just different security issues

Many newe setups are coming with WEP enabled. Besides, the cable modem isn't secure out of the box, the OS isn't secure out of the box. Far more people are compromised on a wired network than a wireless one.
Jeff

54 MBit with WirelessG. Plenty fast for a home user, faster than your cable modem.
Speed isn't bandwidth.
Jeff
Jeff Cochran wrote:

Hi, Also it has DSS feature. Tony

Maximum length is 328ft. or 100 meters for CAT 5e cable 100BaseT
Dave
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:16:58 GMT, "justdave1"

FWIW, Max length for the true RS-232 standard was what, 50 feet?
I've worked in places with 200 foot RS-232 cables that worked flawlessly. I would have no doubt that other maximums are easily exceeded in typical environments.
Barry