Neptune Washing Machine

I am having a problem with my washing machine. It is a front loader. The symptoms are: water is running out the bottom of the door. The door can be opened when the machine is running. It smells like the motor is getting hot. The washer does complete the cycle from beginning to end. The washer is nine years old. Not sure if I should repair or replace. Sears charges $65 to show up in the driveway. I am not real mechanically inclined but am willing to try to help myself.
bruce6230 wrote:

It's at least worth the effort to pull it out and see if it's a simple item like a worn out belt. Nine years is fairly old, but since it's a higher end unit, if it was working well prior to this it should be worth fixing if it's something simple like a belt. A decent washer can last 30 years with some minimal maintenance like belts.

Remember repairclinic.com is your online friend. Advice and parts are available if you contact them. Good luck.
Joe
I was told thats a symptom of main bearing failure and worse the entire drum must be replaced. Its sad the $ saved on water by using a front loader never sees and real savings because service and parts are so costly..........
this told to me by a local appliance repair technician
In article <84106c13-fcbb-42aa-8508-

These stories of poor reliability turned me off front-loaders. We recently moved and bought a new set, so went with an agitator less Whirpool. We're hoping to get the reliability of a top loader with most of the advantages of a front loader. We'll see.
--
Keith

Consumer Reports says a washer that old is not worth fixing because half the repairs turn out crappy. Don't risk money into it.