Neighbors utilizing my 20 cu yard Dumpster!

When we start a project, I tell the owners we'll be needing two dumpsters -- one for their project and the other for their neighbours. About fifty percent of the time, it's true. I've seen people hauling stuff from blocks away to get to one of my dumpsters -- in the middle of the day.
A top or a tarp will slow them down ... but those are a pain to deal with ...
We've got all the requisite signs warning people they'll be prosecuted, and yes, we can prosecute for trespass and yes, we can sue ... but what on earth would be the point?
It's just part of the cost of doing business. Or, in your case, part of the cost of your project.
Move on .......
Ken
Avoid the problem completely. Break stuff down and put it into the back of your car. Next time you pass an apartment complex or real dump, use their dumpster. Repeat as many times as necessary.

says...

The *point* is - he needs 20 cu yards, it's damned exensive, and he's losing pieces of that to some sneak in who comes in the middle of the night.

Truly! You're telling him to set himself back an extra $400 bucks to service his neighbors?
If folks were really are all so la-de-da and 'move on, it's no big deal' about it, why is the dumping happening late at night?
This is tresspass and illegal dumping. And whoever's doing it knows it.
Methinks you're rationalizing your own past behavior.... did I guess right?
Banty

No. I am telling him that there always has and always will be a problem with people using someone else's bin. I'm a contractor and it happens with about fifty percent of my bins. Other contractors tell me the same thing. We have all concluded that it is not worth the effort in trying to police them.
If the effect is that it adds $400 to the cost of his project, that is just part of the construction costs.
You may not like it, and I may not like it but that is how llife is.

Methinks your response is worthy of grade five. Did I guess right?
FOAD
says...

How nice for you. You can pass on the cost of your advice.
Do you know which of the 50% is because the homeowner gave permission after being asked? And why are you advising that a homeowner can't be in the *other* 50%??
Hopefully you itemize this extra bin for the bums in your estimate and contract. (You don't - did I guess right?)
Banty

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:26:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

Using your logic, after the guy dumps his trash, he might as well load up some building material. After all, "that is just part of the construction costs."
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.

In case English is your second language and you don't understand what I wrote, I said that I don't like it ... of course, it is both theft and trespass, but it is not worthwhile pursuing.
If I catch someone doing it, I speak rather harshly to them. BUT... it isn't worth getting upset about ... people are like that.
Here's some math: a bin costs me about a hundred and fifty dollars. If neighbours dump trash in half of them ... even taking up perhaps 10 - 20 percent of the capacity, the cost to me is ten bucks a bin. It isn't worth it to me or the homeowner to try to police or prosecute.
It is part of construction costs ... and it is passed on; just the same as every retall store passes on the cost of "shrinkage" -- read, shoplifting and theft by employees.
If I pursue the guy apart from speaking harshly, the cost runs into thousands. That's life in the real world.
Ken

The legalities vary by jurisdiction and are usually established by state/local law. Around here, if you bring trash to my property and leave it, it's called illegal dumping; it doesn't matter if you scatter it in my yard or put it in my dumpster, it's still illegal.
I have confronted a number of people and reminded them of the law. I have also rooted through trash bags to find mail and other identification and rang a few doorbells. People only do this because they think that they can get away with it. Once they learn that they can't, it usually stops.
put up a dummy / fake camera and signs saying you are being videotaped/ that should discourage most. and light the area at night too

oR A real one. I think for a couple hundred dollars you can buy a camera and a dvr card for your pc. Harbor Freight iirc has the DVR card, that records on your hard drive whatever is on the camera, and it's 130 dollars or so, recommended to me by another shopper at a hamfest.
Or spend a few hours in your car with a cell phone and a camera.
I'm dubious that many will leave their mail in bags. I think for most it will be used building materials etc. and they'll put their trash out in front of their own homes.
When you see one, you can call the police before you get out of the car, or you can at least tell the guy that, if you think someone will get physcial with you. I would think the odds of that are slim, especially if you use some tact.
You don't need to photograph his plate if you can remember it, and a description of the truck.

Stop whining and get on with life. Your not being very neigborly. If you find out who is doing it - ask them if they need to dump some more. If they do you could ask them to split the cost of the next dumpster.
Or, you could try something like this.
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_dk9000.htm http://www.yoursecurity.us/rex.htm
On 5 Apr 2006 22:30:10 -0700, "Elliott P" wrote:

My best answers, such as they are, are in line.
But here is an interesting counter example.
When I lived in NY, I was driving down 2nd avenue I think it was in the 20's, on the west side of the street. And there was a big dumpster, 6 feet high by 23 or more feet long, full width, no cover of course, and it was 5 feet full of books. Almost all were hardback. There were no large book stores nearby but there must have been a warehouse I didn't know of. There was too many for a private library, or at least one that wasn't famous. And no big private library would have been junked like this. It would have been sold. These must have been left-overs of some sort. And there may have been 15 or 25 thousand when I first got there.
I stopped, and there were about 5 or 8 people inside going through the books. So I got in. Most of them were good books, history, poli sci art, various religions, language, plus other good topics I'm not so interested in. (Well I'm not so interested in art, but I remember that there were books about art.) There were three kinds of people, the ones inside, the ones who stayed outside but pointed to books they were interested in (and someone inside would give them the book) and those who just watched.
I got about 25 books the first day, all of them of real interest to me. I went back the next day, and the scene was the same except the depth of the books was 4 feet and in one part only 3 1/2. I'm assuming that more books were added as long as the dumpster was there, so that means even more than a foot of books had been removed. Although one of the things that makes NYC great is that they might just leave the dumpster there, even if they had to pay a bit extra, as long as people were getting books.
Anyhow, I went back again maybe 3 or 4 days after the first day and I think the level was down to two feet. I got a few books that time too, but a smaller percentage was the kind that interested me, and also, I felt I had my fair share. I don't know how long the dumpster was there before I saw it or after the last time. It was a beautiful spring or summer week and there was barely any or no rain for those days or a few before and after. None showed water damage. One book that I may have gotten there was over 100 years old, but missing iirc the back cover. But the others were only 20 to 50 years old.
Come to think of it, in the four days spanned by the days I was there, I found nothing in there that wasn't books, and I saw no trash outside that might have been put in and then removed by us scavengers.