Neighbors utilizing my 20 cu yard Dumpster!

Can we use your yard?

Reply to
deviL doG

Hey...they're also your employees.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll tell them that.

Reply to
deviL doG

Well, what do you call people who receive money from you, in return for doing a job? You pay taxes. Some of that money pays their salaries. When you call them, you expect a result. That's an employee.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Using your logic, after the guy dumps his trash, he might as well load up some building material. After all, "that is just part of the construction costs."

Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Actually I would call that an employee of the city since I do not actually pay their salary directly.

At a stretch you might consider it a contractor but even contractors are not your employee, they work for a business you contract for services with.

When I buy something at a store and pay for it, I don't consider the sales people my employees even though profits from my sale pay their salary. Do you?

Taxes are no different than paying for services provided. Main difference is you do not have a choice.

Cops are here to serve you not work for you, have a little respect.

Reply to
PipeDown

Sorry, but this is wacky, ESPECIALLY that last line. For reasons nobody can explain, a very short group of professions thinks it somehow exists above the business model. Customers feed the nonsense by saying "have a little respect". Why? Doctors call their customers "patients", but the fact is, they are customers. Some doctors get really bent when they are told this.

Cops are employees.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In case English is your second language and you don't understand what I wrote, I said that I don't like it ... of course, it is both theft and trespass, but it is not worthwhile pursuing.

If I catch someone doing it, I speak rather harshly to them. BUT... it isn't worth getting upset about ... people are like that.

Here's some math: a bin costs me about a hundred and fifty dollars. If neighbours dump trash in half of them ... even taking up perhaps

10 - 20 percent of the capacity, the cost to me is ten bucks a bin. It isn't worth it to me or the homeowner to try to police or prosecute.

It is part of construction costs ... and it is passed on; just the same as every retall store passes on the cost of "shrinkage"

-- read, shoplifting and theft by employees.

If I pursue the guy apart from speaking harshly, the cost runs into thousands. That's life in the real world.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I think that could well be true. I used to work for a multi-state corporation that had a WATS line available from many many extensions by dialing 8, so we could talk to our plants in other states.

I'm not so ignorant, but I thought we could only call the 7 plants we had in other states, and that it was a flat rate. But I can afford my own long distance, that is, I only call as much as I can afford.

Anyhow, 9 months after I got there, they announced that they had installed an expensive software program that would keep track of which extensions long distance calls were made from.

I wondered why they didn't just tell us that they paid per call. I was convinced if people knew that, most wouldn't call.

Reply to
mm

OK. Thank you Dwight.

Reply to
deviL doG

When you see a cop, do you get all teary-eyed and hear bagpipes?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

So I didn't use their phone, even if I could have gotten away with it.

I should say, they paid per call and per minute.

Reply to
mm

Your WATS example is similar to the much more simple case of any use of a business phoneline. Many small businesses have phone service in which they are charged for every outgoing call. There is a fixed monthly charge (a few times greater than residential rate) plus a per-call additional charge. I'm not saying that this is true for every business, but it is common.

The average employee or average visitor to a store doesn't realize that those non-business calls are costing the owner. Explain that fact and many of them will be more considerate.

I think that could well be true. I used to work for a multi-state corporation that had a WATS line available from many many extensions by dialing 8, so we could talk to our plants in other states.

I'm not so ignorant, but I thought we could only call the 7 plants we had in other states, and that it was a flat rate. But I can afford my own long distance, that is, I only call as much as I can afford.

Anyhow, 9 months after I got there, they announced that they had installed an expensive software program that would keep track of which extensions long distance calls were made from.

I wondered why they didn't just tell us that they paid per call. I was convinced if people knew that, most wouldn't call.

Reply to
Gideon