Neighbors from Hell

My question is where's the HOA when you need one? Eh? Eh?
"...a group of people sharing a house in Berkeley, Calif., who have exasperated and intimidated their neighbors with nuisance and even criminal behavior for nearly 40 years...
"Fifteen people with criminal histories list the home as their residence and have produced over 40 "criminally related reports" in the last 18 months, continuing a trend of illicit and disorderly behavior that has endured for decades... since 2009 authorities have visited the home five times in response to reports of fighting, three times to reports of fireworks, and seven times to reports of screaming and yelling. The house has also been the source of three gun- and drug-related arrests since 2009."
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/05/17/after-37-years-neighbors-from-hell-may-finally-face-eviction/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews
If there is no HOA, why haven't the neighbors taken steps on their own?
HeyBub wrote:

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/05/17/after-37-years-neighbors-from-hell-may-finally-face-eviction/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058?test=latestnews
Up here we have a law to deal with such neighbor. After repeated warnings/tickets to smarten up, if they don't behave they get evicted and house will be boarded up or demolished. No more problem. We don't put up with garbage like that.

I don't know where "up here" is, but "down here" , there is , ocassionally, a fire which happens when the owner is away and the house is empty. It is a tragedy. We ALL wish it didn't happen.... but nature works in mysterious ways...

LOL
--
EA

SNIP

Because the problem exists in the PRB (People's Republic of Berkeley) which is close to the center of mass of the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) ?
Typically, the authorities will not act but they will take action against private citizens who do........ :(
cheers Bob
wrote: SNIP

Because the problem exists in the PRB (People's Republic of Berkeley) which is close to the center of mass of the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) ?
Typically, the authorities will not act but they will take action against private citizens who do........ :( ========================================================= Quite apropos of this, UltraLibster TMT gloated over the following, where a woman got 20 years for firing a warning shot. ie, no one was actually shot. But TMT thinks this is still a ms-use. Overall, pretty shocking
The point is, Tony Hwang's scenario is rare. Most of us just have to suffer, or risk the consequences of taking action.
----------------------------------
Will misusing your gun earn you a prison sentence?
You damn right it will.
Don't feel so brave now do you?
TMT
"Stand Your Ground" defense fails in Florida shooting case Reuters - Tue, 15th May 2012 03:00 AM
JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) - Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law is coming under more scrutiny, this time in a case involving a woman sentenced to 20 years in prison after firing a gun in the direction of her abusive husband.
Marissa Alexander was sentenced last week after a Florida judge rejected her defense citing the "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force in a case where a person is attacked or believes his life or safety is in danger.
The controversial law, first enacted in Florida and now in effect in more than 20 other states, has come under growing criticism after the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in February.
Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of three, claimed in court that she fired a warning shot into the ceiling of a house after her husband threatened her and moved in her direction. The husband was not hit.
In issuing the ruling, the judge said Alexander could have escaped the situation instead of firing her gun.
Florida's minimum-sentence guidelines require Alexander to serve 20 years in prison because a gun was fired in the incident.
A member of the U.S. House of Representatives, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and an advocacy group opposed to minimum prison sentencing guidelines have all rallied behind Alexander, calling her sentence harsh.
Greg Newburn, Florida project director for Families Against Mandatory Minimums, said under the sentencing guidelines Alexander would not be granted early release or opportunities for parole.
"I operate under the assumption, for argument's sake, that even if everything the state attorney alleges is true, the 20-year sentence is still obscene," Newburn said.
"I don't argue that the sentence is unjust because she is innocent, I argue that the sentence is unjust because it does not fit the circumstances."
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Representative Corrine Brown of Florida, who attended the sentencing, issued a statement criticizing the prison term.
"If women who are victims of domestic violence try to protect themselves, the 'Stand Your Ground' law will not apply to them," she said.
"Just minutes before the incident, Marissa's husband told her 'If I can't have you, nobody is going to have you.' Millions of abused women have heard those words."
Alexander alleged that during the August 1, 2010, incident her husband choked her and refused to let her leave the house. She said she eventually escaped to the garage, then realized she left her car keys behind and returned, carrying a handgun.
The office of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey said evidence at the scene suggested the shot was fired in a more threatening direction and put at risk two children who were also in the home at the time.
Corey said she offered Alexander a plea deal for a three-year sentence, but she refused. "She turned it down through a trial where she took the stand and, based on our assertion of the facts and based on our presentation of the evidence, she was found guilty," Corey said.
Relatives of Alexander say she plans to appeal and intends to take her case to Florida's clemency board, which has broad powers to reduce sentences or even pardon convicted criminals.
Alexander had no prior criminal record and possessed a court-issued protective order against her husband at the time of the attack.
Alexander's husband, Rico Gray, was arrested in 2006 and 2009 on charges of domestic battery.
Martin was shot to death by a neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, in an Orlando suburb and authorities initially declined to arrest the shooter because of Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law.
The decision prompted nationwide protests and Zimmerman, who is white and Hispanic, was later charged with second-degree murder by Corey and arrested.
(Editing by Kevin Gray and Mohammad Zargham)
EA

That's a good example of why that state leans so far to the left. If they keep leaning that way Kalifornia will just fall into the Pacific. They won't have to wait for an earthquake.

Maybe it'll capsize, like Guam.