Neighbors from hell

Completely plausable. I know people who would act like this and do in other ways torment the neighbors. Then again, the OP never posted again.
Everyone needs a place to live, even trashy people living off the grid. I hope the OP at least started with negotiation to mitigate the noise (offer to build a generator shed out of an old dog house) before resorting to getting angry.

other
I had neighbors who used to start with their rock and roll band at around midnight. When I called the sheriff to find out if I had any right to sleep at night they told me they were not willing to go over there and risk getting shot. Well, I was not going to go over there unarmed but if I went over there armed and had to defend myself then I would have been to blame for going over there armed in the first place. Some people it's just better to not try to talk to. Keep in mind that I had gang members move in next door to me and I was perfectly willing to go over there and ask them to turn it down or keep their dogs out of my back yard etc.
Then again, the OP never posted again.

Sure, everyone needs a place to live but it's a lot nicer if we can attain certain minimum standards of living. If they were just "shitting in a bucket" then I'd say yuck, but OTOH if the bucket was actually part of a composting process and the pile was done properly so it didn't stink and attract flies then OK. But there is a difference.

I suggest you write a letter to Code Inforcement every week until they respond. Try to get your neighbors to do the same. They are no doubt breaking numerous laws.

and
not
place
When
smoke
can't
from
appreciated.
I second getting them a muffler if you have it in your heart...
I get similar problems from my neighbors. Woke up about 4am this Sat. to the smell of something burning. I figured it was a house fire somewhere in the city so I closed my windows and went back to sleep.
Later, about 8am I'm out mowing the lawn and the smell is worse. Then I notice smoke rolling out of the backyard of a neighbor two houses up the street. I walk up there to investigate figuring there might be a smoldering fire in a storage shed or something. To my suprise I look through the fence and this guy is burning trash in a barrel in the middle of the city!
Is what really got to me is he tried to do it in the wee hours to avoid detection, so he must have known it was illegal. Makes me wonder what he was burning. I announced my displeasure as I walked off and commented as to the legality of burning in the city.
Only a few minutes later there was no more smoke, so simply voicing my displeasure was enough. I intended to call the fire dept. but the non-emergency # was disconnected! At this point I had too much to do, relatives visiting, so I blew it off.
MattMika wrote:

Let me get this straight.
a) Having the fire department come out was important enough to spend the fire department's time and probably the city's tax dollars but not more important than putting off the things you had to do for a few minutes?
b) You asked the guy to stop and he did. You then, after he stopped, tried to call the fire department on him?

I asked nothing. "I announced my displeasure as I walked off and commented as to the legality of burning in the city." I then went and tried to call the fire dept., "but the non-emergency # was disconnected." I didnt want to call 911 to report a non-emergency violation. Luckily the fire was extinguished and that cemented my decision to blow it off.
MattMika wrote:

What one horse town do you live in? Toadsuck Ark???
You could move into a city...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland