Neighbors fence on my property.

Page 4 of 4

How do you know the lien will be honored? I'm not doubting you since I don't know how these things work, so I'm simply asking.
You've only mentioned letters from a lawyer. What other actions were taken that makes the lien valid/enforceable or whatever legal term applies in this situation?

I'd still like to know the details of the lien. The way I read Ralph's post, he (Ralph) paid an attorney to write letters and a contractor to move the fence.
Can Ralph initiate a "mechanic's lien" even if he did not supply the labor or materials? Would the attorney fees be covered under a mechanic's lien?

It doesn't have to be - probably isn't - a mechanic's lien. A lien is just an encumbrance against the property for whatever reason and that encumbrance is recorded. When the property is sold, any liens will be paid by the escrow company.
What happens if an escrow company isn't used? No idea but I'm guessing he could go after both the seller and buyer.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Monday, October 7, 2013 8:52:10 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Derby's point is that you can't just go place a lien on anyone's property at will. That's why he's asking for the details. I'd like to hear them too. I would think that in order to put that lien on the neighbor's property he would have had to sue them in court and win. Perhaps they did, via small claims, but it would be informative if we knew more of the details. I doubt that a mechanic's lien would work. The neighbor had no contractual relationship with those who moved the fence, didn't hire them, etc. And Ralph is saying he'll get his lawyer's fees as part of the lien. Possible the lawyer sued them and they ignored it, he got a default judgement.

Yep...everyone else is just explaining how liens may or may not work. Since Ralph said he has a lien against the house, apparently for both the attorney's fee and the contractor's fee, that's the lien I want to hear the details on.
While there are certainly lots of members of this esteemed group that are very knowledgeable about all sorts of liens, I'm guessing that Ralph is the only one qualified to supply the details of his specific lien.
...snip...
On Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:30:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Ralph didn't mention it, but I would guess that the lawyer got a court order awarding the attorney fees and fence move costs. The lien is recorded on the deed at the recorder's office. Generally, no bank will lend on the property unless the lien is removed.
I guess technically, someone could buy the property for cash (no loan) with the lien still attached, but then that new owner would then be responsible for the lien (including the mounting interest).

Perhaps you do. Or perhaps your lien will expire. For example, In AZ A mechanic’s lien is automatically extinguished unless a lawsuit is filed to foreclose the mechanic’s lien within six months after the recording of the mechanic’s lien.
Have you filed a lawsuit?
snipped-for-privacy@go-concepts.com wrote:

There is a little known law, named "Eddie's law". You really should take advantage of it. Basically it works like this: for each inch your neighbor is using, you can charge up to $500 per year, per inch. I suggest filing a claim in court. You do not need an attorney, just file with the clerk of courts, they will hand you an "Eddie's law" form.

What does drug testing have to do with a fence?
--

dadiOH
Buster wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/3ukt6mc