Neighbor with bright light

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in message

I had sort of the same thing with a very bright light on the side of a building pointed toward my backyard, so you felt like you were in a prison yard or something. I complained to no avail, so I took it to the city council and it was corrected shortly after that. If nothing else works, try that. Good luck.
Cheri
On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You need to install a high-power dark :)

My neighbor has a motion detector on his bright light. It came in handy once when my daughter noticed it came on late at night about 2am. She saw some people in their driveway who shouldn't have been there and called the police. They were looking into the neighbor's car. The police caught and arrested the creeps.
Could you persuade the lady to get one that's motion activated?
On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I had a HPS light on a pole in the alley right behind my backyard when I bought my house a few years back. Luckily it was installed at the request of the seller so all I had to do call the electric co and have them shut it off. IIRC it cost around $6-8/mo to rent.
Like you, I despised that light.
I would imagine that if you express your dissatisfaction to the power company and/or code enforcement it would get shut it off.
The old lady should install motion sensor lights in her backyard to be considerate of her neighbors. Matt Mika
On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Buy a nervous dog, and train it to bark and howl at the light.
Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A $20 bb gun will do the trick as well.
BB gun
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Do the right thing .. ... best bet is to contact your local municipal authority (e.g., zoning office , code enforcement officer, etc.) Typically there are lighting ordinances which govern how much light should be visible. And in some cases, even the wattage of the bulb depending on the type of fixture, etc.
This can also include use of shields, etc. to prevent light penetration onto neighbors property. But I'm interested ... if the local power company is replacing the bulb, is it their light? If so .. this may complicate the situation.
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; My next door neighbor has one of those big bright "barn yard" mercury<BR>&gt; vapor lights mounted up high on a 40ft. telephone pole (power company<BR>&gt; rented light). Recently, the bulb burned out in it; I thought this was<BR>&gt; great because my family could be outside at night or swimming in the<BR>&gt; pool without a glaring harsh light shining in our eyes and putting up<BR>&gt; with the old lady watching us through her cracked window blinds<BR>&gt; (thinking we can't see her; yeah right), but the power company came a<BR>&gt; few days ago and changed it, now it is 3X brighter then ever. It shines<BR>&gt; through my bedroom window blinds.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My neighbor is an old lady who thinks someone will break into her house<BR>&gt; if she doesn't have a industrial light in her back yard, Frankly, I<BR>&gt; think she only has it there so she can watch what the neighbors are<BR>&gt; doing at night; thats all. There isn't much crime in my town.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Could I call the power company to have it sheilded or disconnected? or<BR>&gt; to at least tell them to replace it with a normal-sized porch motion<BR>&gt; flood light? These damn lights are responsible for polluting the sky at<BR>&gt; night.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; BTW: I told her about it; I asked her politely to do something about<BR>&gt; it, but she doesn't ever listen to anyone.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks, John<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Let me suggest a course of action: (1) write a letter to your neighbor saying you understand her concern and clearly stating what you would like; (1a) contact neighbors and if they are bothered as well solicit their support in writing to the neighbor, and in the following steps; (2) call the local electric and telephone utilities to find out exactly who own the pole the light is on and who's responsible for its placement and upkeep. If it's the utility, find out why it's there, and ask if it can be removed. (3) if you get no satisfactory responses from (1) and (2) write a letter to your local government representative (county/city council, township elder, whatever), and enclose the copies of the letters you sent to the neighbor and the utilities. (4) continue to escalate until you're satisfied or you give up.
Kyle wrote:

AS A LAST RESORT!
Aim a aircraft landing light right at her home when you think it will bug her the most