Neighbor with bright light

I live at the end of a long cul de sac and our streets in San Diego are scantilly lit. However I am lucky (?) enough to have one of the three street lights on the block right outside my front door. They use this weird orangish bulb to cut down on light pollution for Mt Palomar observatory. They are shockingly bright when new. My front yard is lit up like a rock concert. It's kinda creepy at first as everything is color shifted. I don't like it but they aren't gonna switch to mercury vapor.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I use laser pointers, get that beam near the photo sensor and off it goes and they never know why

Reply to
MC

Heh! The closest one can get today is "conspiracy" to do something. But "conspiracy" is an agreement between two or more to commit some unlawful act coupled with an affirmative act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

"Intent" is often an element of an offense, but it is not an offense per se. For example: "burglary" is defined as the entering of a building (often a dwelling) with the intent to commit a felony or the crime of theft. Now the "intent" on the part of the accused burglar can often be inferred by a rational person (the TV, stereo, and jewlry were stacked by the front door...), but mere intent is never an offense - intent is often necessary, but intent alone is never sufficient to establish the crime. There must be some overt act as a necessary element of the offense.

Reply to
HeyBub

The actual charges were First Degree Forcible Rape, First Degree Sexual Offense, and Kidnapping. To be arrested, one must be charged with an actual crime. There is no crime in North Carolina enumerated as "Suspicion of ...." anything.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bullcrap...

What about all the alleged "child molestors" who are locked up for thirty years and labled sex offenders for life because they arrive at some police sting operation with the "intent" of having sex with a 15 year old girl.

In reality there is no 15 year girl... she was made up by some police officer surfing on the Internet and up till the moment of arrest, no one was harmed. There is no victim.

The person being arrested and convicted is being punished purely for their thoughts about what they might want to do or thought about doing, in other words, intent.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Most are arrested for solicitation or similar wording where, under the statute, they have already done the crime. The stings are merely a way to make the arrest. Like sending people with outstanding warrants invitations to pick up their free Yankees tickets.

See above.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Yeah, you're the one what gave me the idea. But I couldn't get it to work on the street-light across from my house, and the mag-light works. I think I need a brighter laser-pointer.

Reply to
Goedjn

Huh? You don't get charged until AFTER you get arrested.

Cop pulls you over under suspicion of DUI. Gives you some road side tests, and in his opinion, you're illegal drunk. He arrests you. You go before a judge and you're charged with driving under the influence. You were arrested before you were charged.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Let me suggest a course of action: (1) write a letter to your neighbor saying you understand her concern and clearly stating what you would like; (1a) contact neighbors and if they are bothered as well solicit their support in writing to the neighbor, and in the following steps; (2) call the local electric and telephone utilities to find out exactly who own the pole the light is on and who's responsible for its placement and upkeep. If it's the utility, find out why it's there, and ask if it can be removed. (3) if you get no satisfactory responses from (1) and (2) write a letter to your local government representative (county/city council, township elder, whatever), and enclose the copies of the letters you sent to the neighbor and the utilities. (4) continue to escalate until you're satisfied or you give up.

Reply to
Kyle

AS A LAST RESORT!

Aim a aircraft landing light right at her home when you think it will bug her the most

Reply to
hallerb