Neighbor with bright light

Page 2 of 3
Goedjn wrote:

goes and they never know why

Yeah, you're the one what gave me the idea. But I couldn't get it to work on the street-light across from my house, and the mag-light works. I think I need a brighter laser-pointer.
Try the city building department, Code enforcement officer, City manager the point is you have to make a stink, let them know this a nuisance to you and your family. Are there any other neighbors bothered by this light ? if so go as group, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I thought of somthing els You said the power Co. came and replaced it so it must be there light? That's were you should start. If the old lady can turn it on or off start knocking on her door at 1 & 2 AM and ask her to turn it off. You don't want to mean to the elderly, But there are still a lot of not so helples older people that are still asses.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

I would suggest that is not a very good idea. It is not likely to be looked on kindly by anyone, including the police and could be considered harassment and certainly is not going to win friends. Neighbors are neighbors and being friends is a good idea.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joe's right. And don't do anything destructive. It's just going to come back on you, besides being illegal and unethical. It's too bad you don't have a better relationship with 'the old lady' and could talk with her. Explain your point of view calmly and stay calm even if she becomes unreasonable. Yes, there are mean folks of all ages but being older and alone causes many to become overly suspicious or downright paranaoid. I'm watching it happen in our family and it's not fun for anybody.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Are you the only one bothered by it? Are other neighbors equally bothered? If so, get together with them and complain to the Util. Co. as a group.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

rig up a photocell so that whenever that light goes on, so does Ozzy Osborne, pointed at her house.
If she complains, tell her that she has the powweer to turn Ozzy on and off, and there is nothing you can do. Tell her if she keeps the light off, Ozzy will stay in his cave. She can try turning the light on and off a few times to get the idea of how it works.

Call the power company and zoning and neighborhood code enforcement. Squeak that wheel. You may get a little relief. If not, there's always the old pellet rifle in the garage.
Steve

A tall hedge would probably do the trick. They take awhile to grow, so plant soon.
Bob

" My next door neighbor has one of those big bright "barn yard" mercury
vapor lights mounted up high on a 40ft. telephone pole "
Thats one tall hedge.
canadian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Plant some ivy at the base of the pole. That light will be covered in green within a month.

Or kudzu!
Generally, I'm in agreement with those advocating the legal, civilised route- likely to be more effective in the long run, if slower. But I have a certain mischievous curiosity about what would happen if a water pistol of a certain size filled with, say, ice water were to accidentally be discharged on a hot bulb- it isn't shielded, is it? I mean, kids have been known to do such foolish things.
Sev wrote:

headlamps. They are designed for outddor use, so rain, snow, sleet, etc. have little effect on them. Even the pellet gun suggestion might take more than a single shot. Better with a .44 magnum. Let me add just another stupid solution to the problem. Kill the old lady!
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Nobody's yet mentioned paintballs. How about some nice opaque color?
Again, don't make the firing-source obvious.
On 1 Jun 2006 10:32:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

Unless they are truely the type filled with paint, most paintballs will not work. Stuff is soluable and biodegradeable. Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn /
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

With a little luck, you code does, too. Yeh, some folks don't allow anyone in the neighborhood to enjoy the night.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

to install a motion sensor - not my choice - so she KNOWS when someone/something is in the yard. If you have a lot of critters around, the light would be on a good deal. I used to have a neighborhood possom that made the identical sound of a person walking through the yard. Used to spook me until the light came on - then he would stand up and peer in the window of the Florida room at me :o)
On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Create a "black hole" at the edge of your property to absorb the light.