Neighbor trespassing my pool

Page 2 of 3
Well, considering that drowning is a major liability to your finances, not to mention the possible deaths of the neighbors, I'd be very concerned.
I'd suggest to take the bulbs out of the motion detector. Put a socket in the bulb socket, and run a zipcord extension into the house. Wire it to a radio. When the radio goes off, very quietly call the police and explain the situation.
At laest that way you're on record as "doing something about it".
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Naa, the sign should say:
"Trespassers will be violated, survivors will be prosecuted." Drip some red and or brown(the color of dried blood) paint around. That's do the trick, except for TP. He'd enjoy being violated.

Get one of those alarms that float IN the pool to alert when a small child has fallen in.(from a pool supply store) Then if teens make a skinnydip excursion,they'll set off the alarm,and you can paintball them (so police can ID them).Or whatever other methods of dissuasion you prefer.After a short while,the problem will go away after the teens know the place is alarmed,and you can cease using the pool alarm.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

Rent a video camera with night vision and make the determination of who it is. Then approach them.

Not really. Its a kid thing. They're just havin' fun.

Pretty much...but it depends on how the neighborhood is laid out, lighting, etc.

Sure...sometimes. But they don't hang these kids, ya know!...or even send them off to jail. They're just bein' kids!
Put a lock on your gate. And make up a sign that tells them you know they've been there...and that you've set up a computer camera to tape their escapades.
More than likely, they'll move on to another neighbor! :)
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

But what if one of the kids drowns? Who will be liable?

Yes, in todays world, liability is a risk, especially if local laws require pool to be fenced and posted. But just for fun, I'd hide a video or web cam out there, and post the pictures to a web site, or mail to the parents.
aem sends....

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:47:13 GMT, "ameijers"

I think that all legal entities require that a pool be fenced. The OP's is, of course.

Now THAT is probably against the law...without a signed release form.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

This is not universally true, the municipality that we formerly lived in, as well as most of the area around it did not require a pool to be fenced depending on the size of the property and the pool's location on the property! Most people who had pools and no small resident children DID NOT have them fenced!
Wake up TRENT ,,,,signed release from your burgler ! HHHaaaaa HHAAAAA HAA,,,,,,, surveylance is legal.... I do it..and if it wasnt , I still would..... But I prefer my 22 and chainsaw , .its free food for my Pigs, saves me a ton o money, and my pigs love me. and crime is waaaay down here
yea bullets go up then down, mine are probably in a few roofs. in chgo , but privatly after court the cops were happy, said I made crime go down in my area...I got off free , but they beleived i helped the area
mark Ransley <aka> STEVEN SEGAL wrote:

Oh brother... That webtv has warped that pea you use for a brain retardo boy.

For that to work,you would need adequate lighting for the cameras,which would probably scare off most skinnydippers anyways,unless you use IR-only lighting.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

It really isn't the same as in the case of a burglar injuring himself after breaking in. Most jurisdictions recognize the concept of "attractive nuisance", for example an unfenced (or otherwise inadequately protected) swmming pool. In general, a homeowner is not liable if a burglar hurts himself, but may well be liable if a child drowns in a swimming pool that the owner has not taken reasonable steps to keep children out of.

In fact, a lock may be *required* by law in his area. AFAIK, most if not all jurisdictions require that swimming pools be protected by at a minimum a fence too tall for small children to climb, *and* a self-closing gate with a latch that is out of the reach of small children.

Trespassing is not typically trespassing unless you post signs in according to local law. Putting up a fence might help you legally as long as the gate is locked and not just latched. Otherwise you might be accused of having an "attractive nuisance". If a lawyer can prove that you knew people were sneaking into your pool and did not take reasonable steps to stop it, you might be found liable on that basis.
Trespassing laws vary by state and don't always follow the rules of common sense.
Bob

Do you have signs on your front and back door...that no strangers are allowed to enter without permission when yer not home?
Do you have signs on your fence...that no one is allowed on the other side of the fence after 1a.m. and before 5 a.m. without permission?
There are situations where, indeed, trespassing is trespassing.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
Am I missing something, or do you have an idea who is doing this?
The word "neighbor" in the subject line leads me to ask this question. Can you go to that neighbor and deal with it directly?
steve
I think its the wind blowing your stuff around, but if it is someone swimming late at night, put some bright motion sensor lights aimed on the pool. They probably would find this discouraging and you might happen to see what's up.

R&D wrote:

Good suggestions. But, even if it is 'just the local kids'. In this litigious world, now, would it be a good idea to put up a sign that says something along the lines of "No use of this pool area without permission and supervision of the owner. Not responsible for injury. ..... " etc.? If anything happened and a liability claim was then made against your homeowners policy you might be in a better position to say; "I warned them". Some amazing things happen in this crazy world; one hears the occasional story of the parents suing for injury (even death) when their youngster had no reason to be trespassing, especially at some odd hour of the AM! There was a case not long ago where a toddler wandered off, for short time, and was found floating in a local pool; a contributing cause was that a gate had been left open. It was not of the type that swings closed and latches automatically! A small dollar latch MIGHT have saved the youngster? The most amazing case, to me, was a lumber yard that had ongoing problems with trespassing youngsters jumping from one stack of lumber to another. Eventually one of them fell and was injured. This was despite the lumber yard locking gates, high fences and barbed wire accompanied by on site security. Ultimately it went to court and the lumber yard was held liable! Following this the yard closed down, permanently, putting a number of people out of work! Another case was where a teenager was in the habit of climbing a particular power pylon. Slipping, he grabbed a live conductor and suffered terrible burns. The boys parents demanded compensation from the power company (the child was about 15 or 16 btw). In that instance the power company was deemed to have followed every possible precaution including the placing of signs. Although not held liable the power utility did contribute towards the boys treatment at Shriners hospital. While still in hospital the boy managed to get his girl friend pregnant! Neither of his actions seemed very responsible to most onlookers! Fortunately there does seem to be a slight swing towards responsibility, recently. I've heard of two cases where the parents of several teenagers who caused 'deliberate' damage were held responsible and must pay the several thousands ($15,000 in one instance) of dollars that it cost to repair the damage. But these were cases of outright damage, not innocently intended trespass and leaving a gate dangerously? open. You don't want to wake up some morning and find a neighbours dog, or, God forbid, a person, dead in your pool? The recording of a barking dog played on your stereo etc. might help? Perhaps you could plug the stereo into one of those motion detector operated lights? Although that might not work or might cause some electrical noise on the audio? Have you got any ingenious and technically competent relatives, friends or young associates who might, for example, temporarily rig up an alarm bell/siren when the gate is opened or something? You can also get a light that you can plug in that will flash brightly, at random giving the impression that someone is taking a photograph! Those measures might discourage without too much cost? Not sure why 'outside' lights coming on due to nocturnal animals or trespassers would wake one up 'inside' the house. If such light wakes a person up draw the curtains and/or drape a heavy blanket inside over the bedroom window? Not much point having such lights as a deterrent if they don't work? Or you could make them less sensitive, maybe so that they only come on when a large body, such as a person, a moose or deer (depending where you live) etc. or perhaps a car comes into range on your property. Many of those lights are adjustable or perhaps the judicious use of some tape over the sensor windows will reduce their sensitivity to smaller creatures. Experiment a little! Good luck. Terry.
I think I just found the answer to your problem. I was at Radio Shack yesterday. They have a personal alarm/protection device. It looks like a little blue football, but a little flattened. There is a pin in one end with a key ring on it. When you pull the pin, there is a very loud alarm sound. It would be simple to rig up a couple on gates or attatch a thread to the pull ring. When it goes off, it will really make a racket.
$9.95 each. Go look at them.
Steve