Neighbor trespassing my pool

Page 1 of 3
Hi,
I don't know if I should get all worked up about this, but someone sneaks into my pool a few times each summer. Usually no significant damage done, however it's somewhat alarming to me to wake in the morning and find my floatation devices floating in the pool and the gate open.
I have no idea who it may be although I suspect teenagers.
I live in a quiet area and it's dark. I have some motion sensor driveway type alarms but they go off all hours on the night when nocturnal animals are out and I get no sleep, so I've had them off.
Anyone's opinion, should I really be alarmed about this. Does this happen to most pool owners? Anyone ever caught the person?
Thanks!
I'm not a pool person, but yes, you should be alarmed. This is a criminal act of trespassing. Regardless of that, though, if something happens to one of the trespassers you will probably be held liable because your gate wasn't locked. Not to mention if teenagers can get in, little kids probably can too.
Maury

wrote in message;

I did this once as a teenager. The 'fun quotient' is limited by the fact that you have to be absolutely silent. Perhaps a motion detector floodlight could be aimed at the gate or the pool.
@hotmail.com said...

I did it as a kid as well, but the country wasn't so sue-happy then. If I fell and cracked my head on the concrete it would have been considered my own stupidity and my friends would have laughed at me for it.
I'm pretty sure they make pool motion sensors that detect a change in waviness. You should have to worry about animals setting it off unless they actually get in the pool.

Besides being an invasion of privacy and tresspassing, I think you could actually be liable if they were to hurt themselves.
How about putting an alarm on the gate? Maybe even a silent alarm inside the house?
I believe you could get a camera very cheaply these days and could hook it up to the motion detector and a light. That should tell you who it is.
I wouldn't put up with it.
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

Floating alarms are available that beep when agitated. They are for alerting people if a child should fall in the pool. If you hear the beep, call the police and report a prowler. They will respond and take it from there. One time should do it. Once the word is out you call the police, it should solve the problem.
Steve
I'm not proud of it but as a teenager we would sometimes go pool hopping on a hot summer night. Sometimes through the grapevine we would learn of a vacationing family with a built-in and we would help ourselves. I personally did it about a dozen times. Cops never came. I don't condone it.
Don't they sell those pool alarms in case a child falls in?

I once had a problem with a prowler in my yard out in the country. Mostly, he just disturbed things as if he was looking for valuables. I decided to settle the matter, and took a thermos of coffee and my 12 gauge onto the patio and waited. Around 11 pm he showed up, walking in from the woods. As soon as he got to the back gate, I fired two shells into the sky. He was last seen running through Westville, 14 miles from my town. Never saw him again. Joe Arnold

Chances of this being a true story: about the same as winning the lottery.
--
Spam sink email address, sorry

The part about Westville is a joke, the rest is true. Joe

PhotoMan wrote:

No. You're the joke.
-- A: It disrupts the natural flow of conversation. Q: What is wrong with top-posting?
If I want any shit out of you, I'll come squeeze your head.

PhotoMan wrote:

The only thing you'll ever squeeze is ur midget dick or ur dog's balls you scroungy ole hilly-billy pussi-boi you.
Meantime I'll keep a squeezing your momma's juicy ass like I been doin for years now over at Michele's Motel in merry ole Lumpkin ever chance I git!
What say I post some pics of her fat ass, eh?
yeah, I think so... Good idea. Be on the lookout for em!!
-- A: It disrupts the natural flow of conversation. Q: What is wrong with top-posting?
I have no doubt that every time you open your mouth it smells like some unwashed low-life just uncrossed his legs. Stick this top post up your ass.

Why don't you two kids duke it out on the playground. Pat
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Top Spin) writes:

Nope, I worked with the prowler years later, and he was still telling the story. He was just a kid at the time. It scared him so bad he never did anything like that again in his life.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

When I was a kid on the farm it was not unusual to catch someone snooping around the farm yard. My pop would grab the shoot gun a fire a shot in their direction. They would peal out of in a hurry. Later on, when I was a teen, someone was tearing down the road and spinning circles with their car in our driveway. After the second time they made a pass I decided to grab the shoot gun and waited in the shadows for them to come back. It wasn't long before they came back for one more pass. At the appropriate time I stepped out into their headlights holding the shoot gun across my chest. It was pretty funny to see them hit the brakes and slowly drive away instead of the spin they were planning. Of course they never came back!
There was a gent in our city that was sitting in his house on winter evening. Someone tried to get into the front door, and he heard them. Seconds later he heard someone trying to get into the patio door. He had grabbed his .44 magnum when he heard the first attempt, so he walked out the front door and fired twice into the sky. Needless to say who ever it was made tracks, through the snow, right to his own house where later the cops found him. The cops wanted to charge the gent for firing a gun in the city limits, but decided not to.
So yes, I believe the about story, to a point. The 14 miles MAY be an exaggeration! Greg

My neighbor has a bullet he dug out of his garage roof. Somehow, shooting into the air doesn't seem very safe. The bullets have to come down somewhere.
Bob

Why? I know of two instances where basically the same happened, one was me, one my neighbor. We had kids that would drive down our roadss in 4WD vehicles and leave pasture gates open, letting horses and cows roam (Note, this was the Northeast, they are "cows", not "cattle"). The neighbor posted a sign that said tresspassers would be shot and buried. Sat in a deer stand next to a popular gate, kids came by, he fired two blasts from the 12 gauge and his gates stayed shut from then on.
In my case it was road hunters. They drive down the road, shooting at anything that moves, including cows, horses, dogs and children. After enough beer I guess a four-year-old looks like a six-point buck. I had a sign that said "Hunters, the other white meat" at the end of the drive. One day a hunter fired a shot from his car into the woods across the road, I fired the 12 gauge from the porch, he took off and the hunting activity died off for the season.
Note that where I live now this would be foolhardy, dangerous and illegal. But I'd be tempted to fire up the chainsaw if I had a tresspasser... :)
For the OP: Locks on the gate might go a long way toward stopping the practice and limiting liability.
Jeff
[On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:42:51 -0700, "CBHvac"

The first indication of someone who knows what they are doing.

It depends on what city.
The point is that you really don't want to kill anyone. Not for just trespassing. You just want to discourage them. Get their attention. A twelve gauge fired into the dirt will usually accomplish that.
The cops around where I live would always look the other way on something like that. That would be after they helped you reload.
Shit. When I was in high school, my friends and I used to go pool-jumping. It is best done naked with girls.