Neighbor's Window AC Unit Drips on Mine

Hi, I live on the first floor of a house The upstairs tenant has a window AC unit, and it drips directly on mine when he is running his. This makes an annoying continual noise and it bothers me since the window is right next to my computer. The AC units cannot be located to other windows.
Can anything be done about this? Thanks!
Perhaps you could get your neighbor to add a piece of metal or plastic to divert the water so it drips in a different location. Might be easy or difficult, but worth asking.
Julie P. wrote:

Reminds me of a trick for a leaky faucet driving you crazy with the dripping sound in the middle of the night - tie a string at the spot down to the sink so that the drop runs down the string (silent) instead of a noisy drop. Also, maybe the use of flexible rubber hose to divert the leak-off around your unit to the ground may work also. Good luck.
Julie P. wrote:

Put a piece of plywood or a shingle on top to catch the drip; put it at a steep angle toward the back so the drop won't be as loud and so it will run off.
You could also put a tuna can on top to catch the drip, with a hole its side near the bottom (so it will drain) and put some fiberglass batting (etc.) inside to keep it quiet. This will make a rust stain on top of your A/C, but who can see that anyway.
Hope this helps, :-) Bob
Some new units come with a push in plastic fitting that is made to install in the main drain hole in the bottom pan of the AC unit. It is made to direct the flow of condensate. I think I am correct that some are designed to insert into a piece of clear plastic tubing which would allow you to send the water somewhere useful.
Maybe you could put a flower box of some description on the top of your unit. It would be watered automatically, look pretty, and dissipate the sound.

Also, my AC unit top is turning green because of the continual dripping.

Kill him.

I thought the people there might also know the answer to my question though. Surely, this must be a common problem?
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:43:25 -0400, "Julie P."

In the past, my down stairs neighbor put a newspaper(thick one like a sunday one) right where the drip hit. Thick enough and 'spongy' enough to kill the sounds.
hth,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Thanks Bob! I like this idea. And I don;t even have to put a hole in the side, since it will eventually overflow anyway! Now I just need to find a way to secure the can. Maybe Velcro adhesive tape?

Thanks Tom! I would be worried this might block the vents on top though.

Thanks NR. This might work too. But I will try the tuna can suggestion first. Or actually, I might use a spaghetti sauce bottle instead, to avoid rust!
pjm is not involved in hvac trade, he is an unemployed cat diddler, just ignore him

hmmm. Mine didn't come this way, but I learned something new!

funny!
J.

pt 2x4 and stuck a 1/4 inch piece of rubber on one side. Put this on the ac and no more sound. But the other ideas where just as good. Wish there was Usenet around when I had my problem.
Go to the hardware store, and get one of the astroturf type door mats. Cut it about the size of your AC top, and put it up top of your AC. Then when the water lands, it will hit turf, instead of going "ping" on your metal AC.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Julie P. wrote:

A very common problem, although not what you think. alt.hvac is the problem, or, more correctly, the malcontents there who get their primary satisfaction in life from insulting others.

The unit upstairs is not working properly or is not installed properly. Make sure they have it level to eliminate the dripping. People think it is better to have them tilted backward, but the dripping water means the slinger ring is not putting the water against the coil where it will evaporate and help the unit cool better.
Another solution is a deflector of some sort to re-direct the water.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I had this same problem; I put a sponge on the bottom ac unit, which worked pretty well.
--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com