Neighbor's Softub wiring - not cool

My neighbor has just added a "Softub" hot tub on his patio. It requires it's own 20 amp circuit as the pump/heater unit is 110v. At the rear of his house adjacent to the patio, is his 100 amp disconnect (directly beside the meter) and his service panel (breaker box) is in the garage at the front of the house. He is planning to just add a breaker box with 2 - 20 amp breakers right off the 100 amp disconnect panel becasue he doesn't want to run wire from the patio to the service panel in the garage thru the attic. He says this would be shorter and is nothing more than a subpanel. I told him I was pretty sure that was against code but can someone verify this? I thought a subpanel had to actually come off the main service panel. I think he's treading on thin ice here. He's also talking about doing the same thing for the above ground pool he's ordered.
Not sure about needing to come off the subpanel "breaker box", but I'm sure about the disconnect box for the pool/hot-tub needing to be_ in sight_ of the pool/hot-tub, and no closer than 5 feet. Tom snipped-for-privacy@grandecom.net wrote:

Thanks Tom , I'll pass that on to him. tom wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@grandecom.net wrote in

Did he ask for your advice? If not, what is it to you?
GoHabsGo wrote:

Yes, he did ask me for advice, but I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electrician. I was trying to find out some info for him before he went to the expense of doing this and thn having to redo it. What's your problem anyway, your response reflects you have an attitude problem.

If he connects to the load side of the disconnect and puts the sub panel in a rain tight box connected to the disconnect in conduit, it is legal assuming the rest of the "tap" rules are met. Use a legal splicing device, don't just double tap the breaker. Kupltap is one that is easy to use but a little spendy. He needs a separate grounding bus along with the isolated neutral and a 4 wire feed from the disconnect.

While you're looking at things that might be wrong, I'd start with getting a 120V spa. Unless he got it for free, or a whopping discount, he must be nuts. Since he's running a line and has 240V available that is the only way I'd go. With 240V the spa heats up 4 times as fast and the heater will run at the same time as the pump. With 120V spas, the heater has to go off when the pump goes on. They are really intended for inside use, where you want to use an existing outlet and can live with the limitations..
Dwhite,
Ok, he has a 100 amp main disconnect, a 100 amp breaker box, and intends to add a 40 amp sub panel. This doesn't add up, if I understand you correctly. The main disconnect seems undersized. Since he intends to repeat this with a sub panel for a pool, a 200 amp main disconnect may be in order.
Dave M.