Neighbor's dead tree is leaning against my oak and threatening to fall on my property

Page 2 of 4

call your city hall , maybe codes. Talk to the neighbor
Add pictures here
✖
==> Neighbor's Fallen Tree <==

So are you going to _pay_ to have the work done or are you going to do it yourself?
If you are going to pay for it to be done, then find out how much the job's going to cost and simply tell the neighbor, "To take that dead wood away, the contractor's willing to charge me $X. Your portion will be $Y." If he balks, then you can tell him that the weekend clean-up for your neighborhood is on so-and-such-weekend and you'll help move it to his curb that weekend."
If you are thinking of doing it yourself, then ask for his help (unless you think he's the widow-maker) as a form of payment. We do this all the time in my neighborhood. It's driving the tree-trimmers nuts but it allows most of us to relive our Yout' by climbing limbs and stepping out from the top-step pruning ladders. :)
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖

Umm, it's ALREADY on your property if the only thing keeping it from hitting the ground is YOUR tree. I'd tell them to remove or I'd call the county. Since you like these neighbors, you might want to tactfully "bring it to their attention" (yeah, yeah, they know you know they know) and mention the danger to your kids, etc. If you don't get a positive response such as, "We'll have it removed right away", then call the county. It's a hazard and your neighbor will be ordered to have it removed. Simple.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 29, 1:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@searchmachine.com wrote:

Don't know where you live, but it doesn't work like that where I live.
Whatever part of the tree is on your side of the property is your responsibility, period.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't know where you live, but it doesn't work like that where I live.
Whatever part of the tree is on your side of the property is your responsibility, period. ========== Bad law you have there. That enables a neighbor to ignore an obvious problem until it becomes someone else's. Then they can ignore it some more.
Whenever you notice a bad law or a bad project about to be financed with public money, you can be 100% sure that it was due to either stupidity, or a politician benefitted financially from the law or project. Always. There are no exceptions.
Add pictures here
✖
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In this case, about 800 years of Common Law, from jolly old england, passed down to our founding fathers. Closely related to the one about fruit that hangs on a limb that goes over the property line. No half-vast conspiricy involved, just tradition.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

first just ask nicely. You might gently point out that his insurance company will not pay for any damages cause he could have fixed the problem.
Add pictures here
✖
LouB wrote:

A spin on this is "My insurance will pay for damage to my property, but then they will sue you to recover their expense."
As a LEGAL principle, the neighbor is responsible for all damage something on his property causes on another (excepting acts of God like a lightning strike or armed rebellion).
He's already proven he's not a "good neighbor" by letting the situation reach the imminent peril stage.
Add pictures here
✖

A more pertinent example would be a tree which falls down with no obvious warning onto someone else's property. In most cases, that is viewed similarly and the person who's property it was on is not responsible either.
But if the tree is dead, or already partially falling down, like in this case, then the property owner is held responsible.
I'd just start out by having a discussion with the facts as were presented here, eg, "I'm concerned about the tree falling on kids on my property, etc" and see what the neighbor says.
As Jim suggested, take pictures. If the neighbor won't remove it, my next step would be to contact local code enforcement. They may be able to force them to deal with it because of the safety hazard.

Add pictures here
✖

Normally a fallen tree is considered "an act of god". If your neighbors tree falls on your house the neighbor is not liable. The discribed situation is probably an exception. Not taking prompt action may also cause other exceptions. If the "good neighbor" does nothing about it he may appear negligent. If the OP doesnt try to resolve the issue promptly this may lessen his case because he made no attempt to mediate damages..
Jimmie
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

if the tree was a known hazard its the property owners problem and liability falls on them, the one the dead tree stood on.
I would ask for help removing the tree, and if they refuse ask for their homeowners insurance company name......
the liabilty is the insurance company.
my live tree had a large limb fall on a neighbors car.
since the tree appered healthy before the storm my insurance company wasnt on the hook
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

Where I live, trees falling are generally the recipients problem legally. An "Act of god".
Add pictures here
✖
Bob F wrote:

If hit by lightning or high wind, sure. In this case, however, the tree is an obvious, manifest hazard that is solely under the control of the neighbor. If it falls and kills a neighbor, a case can be made for manslaughter.
A leaning dead tree is no different in kind from a leaning, unsecured scaffold.
Add pictures here
✖

How do you know what they can see? Perhaps the neighbor doesn't know the tree is broken. They may not be able to see it from their vantage point.
Since the OP is on good terms, you need to talk to the neighbor and explain it's a danger.
In general, whatever is over your property, you can cut down.
Talk to the neighbor, first. Then come back here and let ppl know what the neighbor says.
Add pictures here
✖
TD wrote:

You raise a good point - if the neighbor was unaware of the problem, it's hard to prove liability.
It should be easy, however, to prove the neighbor SHOULD have known. It's his responsibility to monitor his property for hazards, especially something as large as a tree.
If the neighbor can't monitor his property - say he's trying to convert little brown babies in Africa to the one true church - he still has an obligation to employ an agent to look after things.
Add pictures here
✖

Hmm, armed rebellion is an Act of God? Interesting,,,
Add pictures here
✖
quipped: [snip]

Sure they are! Don't rebels^Wdisatisfied-but-armed-citizens normally believe Gahd is on THEIR side?
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖
The Ranger wrote:

EVERYBODY believes God is on their side. At least half of them are wrong. Often both sides are.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
And, that's how we get wars. Both sides rush into battle, with God's divine protection.
I wonder if God is up there, playing chess with all us idiots. All us nations of pawns, and God keeps pushing us into battle, jumping checkers and caputring players and killing each other off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote: