Neighbor problem (long)

Page 1 of 3
4 yrs ago, new neighbors moved in adjacent to my property.
The neighbor talked about building a deck. He didn't have a clue how to go about it. Being in the trades years ago, I volunteered to "help" him. Needless to say, he was my helper. Tis ok, that's what I loved about our neighborhood, everyone always offer to help someone else. BTW, this was no charge for all my effort. He said once the deck was built, he would have a cookout inviting all the neighbors.
While we were "at it", we took out his patio slider, replaced it with French doors. I still have my brake & some coils of aluminum, so all the exterior trim work was done at my expense.
Well, he threw a party all right. Inviting all his relatives and not one neighbor, not even myself or my family. Ok, I need to get over it and move on. But, he & his family are absolute pigs. The patio doors are still leaning against his garage, 2 years later. He has trash such as carpet laying out by the deck, which has been there for at least a year. One neighbor moved away because this guy refuses to mow his yard until the city makes him. He has a commercial sit down new "Scag". He parks his trailer for the mower in his front yard. The city has made him move his trailer numerous times.
There's no talking to this guy, he's has an excuse for everything. I told him I seen mice in the carpet, he said he doesn't have time to dispose of it.
His place is an eye sore, simply because he's lazy. I'm embarrassed to have company over, cause from my deck, it looks like I live next door to a dump. This guy has no less than 4 old snowblowers sitting around in his back yard.
Aside from calling the city, and bothering them every week. Anyone have any suggestions? Yeah, I could move. He's already chased one family out of the neighborhood, really don't want to give him the satisfaction of chasing out another.

Send a anymous letter from the so and so street improvement association detailing the issues visible from the street or other peoples back yards and mail it to him no return address. say he is running down home values
say if these issues arent attended too the neighborhood will complain to the community which may result in hassles and fines.
it cant hurt as long as you tell no one you sent it and it might help....
if you have to move then get a more rural home so your neighbors are far enough away they cant bug you being slobs.
personally i just ignore sloppy neighbors messes, life is too short and ultimately they probably wouldnt care, so all the stress is yours.
if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his yard to make your home easier to sell

re: if you decide to sell ask neighbor nicely you will clean up his yard to make your home easier to sell"
Better yet, lie about moving.
If you'd be willing to clean up the neighbor's yard prior to moving, then you should be willing to clean up the yard and stay.
Tell the slob that your house is going on the market, clean up the mess and then say that family/financial/pet related issues have forced you to change your mind about moving.

Its imortant to avoid at all costs strarting a neighborhood war!!!
Wars are ugly and everyone looses...
Your far better off moving, or the complaints and retaliatory complaints can make everyone miserable
messy neighbor might be great litigator, costing you money. even nuisance suits need defending:(

How would a white lie about moving and then cleaning up the neighbor's yard for him start a war?
How have you harmed him in any way that would cause him to retaliate?
In the end, he should be thankful that you took care of some items that he claimed (according to the OP) "he doesn't have time to dispose of".
If the OP doesn't want to lie, then he could put the house on the market at a price that no one will make an offer on ("I'm just trying to see if there is any interest") and then pull it when the clean-up is done. No lies and no cost...because if someone does bite, he can take the money and run!

first i dont believe its a very big mess, but he can offer to take stuff to dump, frankly it wouldnt bother me.
a percentage of people will get mad with any comment......
and call police for every little thing. their dog pooped in my yard, their dog barks a lot, their kid ran thru my flowers, their kid picked some of my prize begonias, they ran their lawnmower too early or too late inb the day, its been too long since they cut their grass yeah its rained for 3 straight weeks but I had mine cut., their bushes are over the local stated max heigth, the car in their driveways tags expired 2 weeks ago, are they running a home business? what laws are being broken? they have a wasps nest under their yard planter, their downspout water reaches my yard in a 100 year storm, well now their downspout water goes to the curb, no longer to my yard:) but isnt it illegal to run water near street? they really need a drywell properly installed and inspected. A electrician was at their home for 1/2 a day last week, did they get a electricial permit? their sidewalks snow hasnt been shoeveled its been over 24 hours, yeah I heard they are out of town a family member died unexpectedly thats sad but does that relieve them of the responsiblity to clear their sidewalk? The fine is 100 bucks? well you must cite them we want a safe neighborhood. Their kids swimming pool pump motor is too loud be sure to bring a DB meter, the noise is keeping me up at night, whats the fine for that, and dont they need a fence? year its only a wading pool but its called a pool for safety dont they need a fence? The neighbor is replacing some deck boards, doesnt he need a building permit and inspection? The permit is 200 bucks? well we want a safe neighborood, and BTW he added some steps on the side, isnt there a sewer eastment there? did he get his property surveyed like he is supposed too? yep its only 3 steps but its the principle of the thing. Some of his kids are visiting and they set up their camper in the driveway, is that allowed? Their new porch light shines in my bedroom window, this must end immediately. Their motion senor lights trigger when dear walk thru the area, its very annoying and besides they are feeding the deer creating a attractive nuisance, I winged a dear last night thats your fault since you are feeding them the damages to my vehicle are 1500 bucks pay immediately or I will see you in court.
neighborhood wars are well best avoided!!!
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Trespassing for one. What if he wanted to keep some of that stuff. Is it OK for people to come onto your yard and remove stuff they don't like?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ask him if he needs some help moving the carpet and patio doors, and getting rid of the broken snow-blowers etc. Tell him if he rents the truck you'll help him load it.
Then if you want to be narsty, leave it up to him to empty and return the truck!!
bob haller wrote:

That's an excellent rule and is applicable in almost all cases.
The one in which it's not is where the offender is overwhelmed and devastated by the first blow. It's the escalation that's expensive, time consuming, and worrisome.
For example:
* Suppose it turns out that the "weeds" covering his back yard were really Marijuana plants with a street value in excess of $10,000? (If there's a lack of Marijuana seeds in your neighborhood, the California pot-shops will know.)
* A pile of illegal fireworks, over $200 worth, is found under a tarp in his back yard. The police come to search based on an anonymous tip. This could work for any number of things, such as a stolen gun found under the front seat of his car.
And so on...

Every city has ordinances prohibiting this kind of thing. Go down to city hall and file a complaint. If nothing happens, file another one. If there is still no action start with the Mayors office and then go to a council meeting and ask to have a report on the progress. Squeaky wheel and all that, ya know...
Joe

Every city has ordinances prohibiting this kind of thing. Go down to city hall and file a complaint. If nothing happens, file another one. If there is still no action start with the Mayors office and then go to a council meeting and ask to have a report on the progress. Squeaky wheel and all that, ya know...
Joe
Adding to Joes good idea. Take lots of pictures to show the mess. How do they that a picture is as good as 1000 words or something like that. ww
WW wrote:

Yep. Sam's Club, FedEx Office, and other places can blow up a digital photo to poster size for a small amount - around $5.00. A picture that size has MUCH more impact than a dozen photo-album-sized ones.

If you have a zoning laws related to fences, submit a permit request for a fence that is higher than allowed - even if you don't want a fence.
That will get you on the town board's radar, where you can plead your case that the property is an eye-sore and you'd like them to do something about it.
"You don't want us to put up 8' fences because they are ugly, yet you won't do anything about the ugliness of the property at (insert address here). I'll withdraw my permit request if you'll do something about the mess that I am forced to look at every day."
For the cost of the permit, it might be worth it to make it "official".

Looks like you learned the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished. This kind of experience turns off people who, like the writer, just wanted to be neighborly. It might sound crass, but "next time" some guidelines should be set out in advance, to avoid disillusionment. Don't give up on people; they're not all like that!
Whatever course of action you decide on, take LOTS of pictures in advance. Speak louder than words.
HB
On 4/29/2011 12:14 PM, Carmen Troyer wrote:

Start looking at him like you want to kill him. If your wife is still friendly with his wife, have her tell her that you haven't been taking your court ordered medications and "I'm afraid he's going to snap any minute." Worked for me.
The thing is, they have to fear you.
Jim
Hire Ben Quick:
http://www.google.com/search?q n+quick+barn+burner
-- Bobby G.

city
have
dump.
any
out
Carmen Troyer wrote:

mountain, meet molehill.
collect a bunch of stuff that you want to dispose of. knock on their door and offer to take that pile of junk to the dump for him.

Offer to use your skills to add on to his deck and/or add a hot tub.
Tell him that the only place to put it is right where that pile of junk is.
Then, before he has a chance to move it to the side of the garage by your house, start staging your building materials there. Spread your stuff around so that he has no choice but to move the junk to the other side of the house.
QED
Carmen Troyer wrote:

Can you figure out a way to screen off your view of his junk? That's what I did.
When my next door neighbor had major renovations done on his property the contractors created an awfully messy "retaining wall" which my neighbor wouldn't see unless he came over onto my front yard. That was seven years ago.
I decided discretion was the better part of valor, since the last thing I ever want in my life is a feud with a neighbor.
So, I went out and bought a bunch of arborvitae bushes at Home Despot over a few weeks time and planted them at the edge of my lot to grow into a screen:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/mmiv.html
To my next door neighbor's everlasting credit he popped over to see me a few days after I'd finished planted the last of those shrubs and insisted on paying me for them. I refused, but told him that if he'd feel better about it I'd be pleased to have him to make a contribution to a local charitable foundation we support.
http://www.stevegliddenfoundation.org /
He came right back with a check pretty much equaling what those arborvitae cost me and we've stayed on good terms ever since.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)