Neighbor problem - dog mess

Page 3 of 5

It's too bad your police will not respond to such calls. But whether or not they respond,it STILL is "vandalism". If you videotaped someone doing it,the police could use that as evidence to cite them for malicious vandalism.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

As I said, what planet do you live on? With all the road rage, drug use, domestic violence, organized crime, driveby shootings, terrorism and various other random acts of violence, do you still think that vandalism is high up there on the list.
Your planet must be perfect.
Steve

Yea, yea. I also have the neighbor on video walking all over my property and his dog pooping on it. That would CLEARLY demonstrate that I am not vandalizing his property at all. I am simply returning his litter. My backyard legal advice makes as much sense as yours, so why don't you just give it a rest.
As an update for you all, I finally got my revenge. I made a bomb collection shortly after I made the original post and had a small paper bag full. I dumped them all out in a small pile dead smack in the middle of his driveway. Broad daylight. I was hoping he saw me and would come out to say something. He didn't. Another neighbor was doing some yard work and we made eye contact. He just put on a ear to ear grin as did I. We never said a word. I'm sure his yard has/had just as many bombs in it.
Since then, I have seen my neighbor walking his dog right past my yard.....
I honestly believe that demonstrating my point is/was far more effective than asking him to stop. He just wouldn't have "seen the problem".

Wrong,as one act of vandalism does NOT make another act of vandalism legal.

Not really.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Psst. I have a secret to tell you. You don't know jack and are trying to convince everyone that you do. I hope you've, at least, managed to convince yourself that you have 1/2 a clue about the law.
You're as useful as tits on a bull. Listen up, now - *PLONK*

So you think that one act of vandalism DOES make another act of vandalism legal?
--
Regards,

OMG! Is there a full moon?
AGAIN?
They're starting to form packs..............
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:08:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Who gives a shit? He solved the problem, didn't he? My GOD.....

OK, I vowed to myself that I'd stay out of this thread, but I feel compelled to make a point that has very little to do with dog poop and very much to do with the attitude that vandalism is low on the list of things that cops should be dealing with.
I strongly urge you to get yourself a copy of "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell and read it cover-to-cover. If you read it with an open mind, then I suspect that when you're done, you'll have a very different attitude about what kind of impact can be made on society's ills by addressing seemingly small problems such as vandalism. Gladwell's thesis, which he defends astonishingly well, is that in fact "small" things like vandalism can have an extremely disproportionate affect on "big" things like crime and public safety.
Jonathan Kamens wrote:

Much like tort laws.

You must first have some information about me to realize where I am coming from. My daughter is a police officer on the street. My son-in-law is nearing lieutenant grade. I have been a coroner investigator. I have been around law enforcement and officers a lot. I have many friends from high school (class of 66) who were career officers. I have two neighbors and a renter who are POs.
I am just writing some firsthand information that I observe from my dealings with police and police situations. I get a lot of inside info.
I am not poo pooing the idea that vandalism should be tolerated. I know that among people, particularly adolescents, vandalism is a big deal, and can result in a lot of damage that regular citizens must bear the cost of. Vandalism is not acceptable in society. Mainly it is an expression of frustration, despair, hopelessness and anger.
And I am not saying that it is low on the list of things the officers SHOULD be concerned with. I am stating that in overworked departments, it IS low on the list of things officers must deal with. They just have too many other calls for service that are far more critical than vandalism. Robbery, assault, person with a gun, burglary, rape, child abuse and neglect. In our town, there aren't even enough officers to adequately enforced traffic laws, and the place is turning into a demolition derby with citizens being picked at bus stops, sitting at stop signs, driving along, or just walking along the street. And this by people who need to be cited and who need their asses kicked for being such poor drivers. Three school children were killed recently while waiting for a bus. Before that, an infant in its mother's arms killed at a bus stop. And on and on and on. They SHOULD be taking more time on this, they just don't have the time because of all the other calls. Now and again, they do a saturation exercise at a major intersection, but it is mostly PR.
There are just not enough officers because they are dealing with critical situations. They will cite if a citizen makes a complaint for vandalism. But, if one thinks they are doing society a favor by taking up an hours time of an officer in their neighborhood for some dog crap, they are delusional. Outright vandalism is a different thing.
What I am taking exception to is the Pollyannish approach by some posters as to what they think the behavior of responding officers will be. There will be a difference between the officer's behavior from Mayberry to Megalopolis. And books about subjects are just a statement on how things should be. I totally believe that things should be better, but I am locked into a world of reality where things are the way they are, not the way they should be. I totally agree that if people would just do the right thing, this world would improve noticeably in about three minutes.
As with all usenet posts, you just have to take the pertinent information and apply it to your own situation.
One size does not fit all. The situation and civilization where you live is probably totally different than where I am. But, then, in my travels, I have noticed that Smalltown, USA, has many of the same problems as Bigtown, USA.
Reality is nature's way of keeping things straight. For the rest of the people, there's books, liberalism, and playing Pollyanna.
Steve

Got news for ya;the typical police response time is such that calling them for home invasion,rape,arson,and the other crimes only means they will get there in time to write an after-action report and watch the coroner haul off your bodies.It's called "Call 911 and Die".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But, Jim, this is contrary to all that you have said regarding the evils of vandalism, and the enthusiasm of the police to pursue vandals.
Which one is it?
Steve
yeah, put it all in a bag and go over and give it to him. that would be hilarious....i guess im lucky ,ive never had a neighbor i couldnt talk to and reason with..... lucas

are you sure it's his dog? you've seen the dog doing it? i ask because i've been blamed (with a poopie packet on my doorstep) for something my dog didn't do. it was assumed, by the size of the poopie, that it was my dog (acutally, it was a little small for my dog (150lbs); more like a 100lb size). however, if you're not up that early you don't know just how many 100lb+ dogs are walked in my neighborhood.
if you saw the dog do it, and it's illegal, turn him in anonymously.
AllEmailDeletedImmediately says...

??!?
LOL!
You'd have us believe that you can tell the poops from 150 lb dogs and 100 lb dogs!
If I were defending that a dog's poop wasn't my dog's poop, it would be more along the lines of: 1. My dog doesn't get out because I take xxx percautions against that. 2. When I walk my dog, I watch and scoop it up each and every time.
That you're nattering on about dog sizes and poop sizes tells me you don't do either 1 or 2, so you're trying to figure out which is yours and which isn't, and you should buck up and deal with your dog poops.
Banty
Banty wrote:

He's gotta be shittin' us.

nope. guess you've never owned large dogs. and do you think a 10lb dog's pile is the same size as a 50lb dog?
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

Actually, I could give a shit less...