Neighbor problem - dog mess

Page 1 of 5
My neighbor is letting his dog use my front yard as his personal toilet. He leaves his bombs there all the time. Even IF he picked them up afterwards, I don't think I like the idea of him walking his dog across my front yard. What's wrong with his yard?
Any tactful ways of dealing with this, obviously, rude person? I'm thinking of collecting a week's worth of bombs and then knocking on his door and handing them to him and say something like "Here - you left these in my yard".

Perhaps you could save us all the trouble of having this discussion yet again by reading the many previous instances of this same discussion in the archive at groups.google.com.
Incidentally, the fact that you ask if you should deal with this by handing your neighbor a pile of dog shit tells us a lot about which of you is the "rude person".
Jonathan Kamens wrote:

How so?
GP
I had the same problem as you had. A neighbor next to my neighbor on the right side of my house had a dog that always crapped in my front yard. What I did one night was --- I took 3 piles of the crap and dumped it right in the middle of his driveway. CASE SOLVED!

Dave wrote:

Worked with me, also. Day after day, mom and her litter came into our yard. The owners could care less. Finally, my shovel took over. Still didn't work, until.....
They came home one day as I shoveling out my yard. I didn't stop. They saw the stuff hitting their house and car. Problem solved. The neighbor, a fence installer by trade, decided it was time to fence in his yard.
Dave wrote:

I believe that might be the best way ... and it directly targets the situation.
GP
Greg Pernell wrote:

W/ some neighbors that might just lead to a much less desirable reaction up to something like a slug through the door or... Deliberately raising the ante is <not> an optimum way to initially deal w/ a problem imo...

Didn't you say tactful? I'd try talking to him first.
Greg M
The dog is crapping in your yard because it knows it is not his owners yard, it is keeping his home clean. My dog goes on my neighbors yard and my neighbors dog goes in mine . Since you do not have a dog you should be agravated, talk to your neighbor. It will be hard to break the dog of this habit, but hopefully easy to get the neighbor to understand and clean it up daily. if you see the dog doing it yell at it

No, rude people don't understand tact. Use Dave's method of returning hte goods to the owner. Fling it with a shovel and let him see you do it. Worked for me with a neighbor.
In most cases, that is all that is needed. If he is very persistent, there are probably leash laws in the town and you can involve the police.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Agreed. Even if you ask nicely, the *rude* neighbor will probably still have a hard-on for you from then on anyways and still let his dog crap in your yard.
wrote in message

It may not help, but talking to the neighbor can't hurt and might be a much better solution. You would be foolish to do something antagonistic without first talking.
Evidently you have never owned a dog. They relieve themselves on walks and thats all there is to it. Sure, a decent person cleans up after their dog, but is hardly a matter of trespassing.
I had exactly the opposite problem. An old woman would scream at me every time I walked by her house; I have no idea why, since my dog had never visited her yard. I tried talking to her, but she was crazy. A neighbor solved the problem by leaving a large pile on a rock by her driveway. (no, it wasn't me, really) So I guess the pile trick does help people regain their reason, but should not be a first choice.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (toller) wrote in

While the original poster didn't say, in most cities it's not legal to let your dog run free, even if it doesn't crap in the neighbor's yard. And, in most cities, the dog's owner is legally responsible for cleaning up after it, regardless of the circumstance.
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

when the neighbor walked their dog. If they are letting it run free and there is a leash law, then that changes everything. But my answer is still correct; it makes sense to talk first.

Evidently, you are a liberal.
Any dog owner that allows their animal to relieve themselves at will and not clean up after it is simply irresponsible. Sure, I know that it is the nature of wild animals. I also know that it is important not to have the animal feel badly about itself, or to cause any problems that might result in counselling. Or to appear germophobic, or scataphobic.
And your views on the rights of the public on private property shows liberalism, too. You might read up on trespassing laws in your community.
I doubt you will, as you appear to think the typical liberal bent.
Steve

let me tell you about the trespassing laws in my boro: if you don't post with no trespassing signs, it isn't trespassing.
SteveB wrote:

Im a liberal. I don't see what this has to do with being liberal? Am I supposed to let any random person/animal on my yard because I'm liberal?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

CL: The poster I cited stated that he thought that a dog coming onto private property did not constitute trespassing. I said I thought his attitude was too liberal.
Steve

yes, too much of anything can be bad.
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

them in the road. I don't see what harm it does, so if that makes me liberal...