Neighbor problem

How would you handle this?

We've lived here 17 yrs, rather a "newbie" in the neighborhood. Rest of neighbors pretty much lived in the area since the homes were built 30 yrs ago.

This concerns lot boundaries. The neighbors on both sides of me would mow close to the center between the houses. My house is just 44 ft wide with garage in front. on a 88 ft wide lot. All lots are 88 ft wide. The one neighbors house is 36 ft wide with a 21 ft side attached garage. Other neighbor is 33 ft wide with a 21 ft side attached garage.

Both neighbors like to mow super short which burns out their yards but they don't have to mow but once a week or bi-weekly this way. I like keeping my grass tall and mow twice a week.

I finally had a survey done, of course the boundary lines are not the center between the houses. I have more side yard because my house takes up less space.

Both neighbors seen the survey stakes and iron pipe. The one started mowing where his property leaves off instead of mowing part of my yard. The other neighbor continues to mow down the center. I wouldn't care but as I said he mows so cotton picken short he burns out my grass.

I approached him and tried to make light of the subject by telling him "just keep coming over so I don't have to mow any side yard". After a couple times of him just continuing going down the center, I pointed out I had the property surveyed and would appreciate if he was going to mow my yard, please raise his mower when he comes onto my property. Now, this guy is one of the originals in the neighborhood. Kinda getting up there in age, set in his ways etc. Don't know if he feels he has seniority for living in the neighborhood or what the problem is. He mows about 10-12 ft over onto my property. The whole neighborhood pretty much takes care of their places, except for the ones that mow so short dirt starts flying.

Oh, my neighborhood you can't put a fence up out front or side, just rear property fencing, which is from rear of house back. I sit with a 40 ft frontage, 26 ft wide on a 190' depth. I really don't want to fence the back yard.

I got the survey to ease my mind, I've asked nicely, now where do I go from here?

Reply to
Rod

You may have a bigger problem than you think. In some areas, local laws may give some form of property right to a neighbor who cars for and uses part of your land if you don't object. You could loose use or even ownership of that land. In some areas that is not the case.

I suggest you may want to check this out with your lawyer.

Even if this is not a legal problem in your area, you may be able to use your lawyer to help out. Maybe, the lawyer could provide counsel to you that you might be responsible for any injury the neighbor might have while mowing your grass, and therefore you must insist that he no longer mow your grass. You might even get a letter from your lawyer to the neighbor. That way you can put the blame on the law.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I saw a neighbor put up a row of small evergreen trees in a mulched bed along the property line. That same neighbor still mows over onto the other neighbor's property. Go figure...

Reply to
S R

If you can't dissuade the neighbor from mowing your lawn and can't put up a fence, what about planting a hedge just inside your property line? Or a line of fast-growing trees? Or a vegetable or flower or rock garden?

FurPaw

Reply to
FurPaw

I'd go along with what another person said and plant a bed along the property line. Just spray a strip of the grass with Roundup, let the grass die and plant some sort of hedge plant this fall. You could also put mulch around the plants to make it look better. Some good candidates (depending on where you're from) are Arborvitae, Yew, Forsythia, Privet, Red-Twig Dogwood, Juniper amongst others.

Another poster commented about you losing the land because another had been using it. From my experience this does not hold true in a sub-division. The lots in a sub-division would not change shape because a guy mowed the lawn in the wrong place for a few years. Those sort of laws usually involve rural land use situations from my experience...

Rob PA

Rod wrote:

Reply to
Rob Gray

Hard to say for sure, but why not try a pre-emptive strike. Mow your lawn before he gets out there and perhaps he won't bother doing it again.

You could put a few plantings in to define the property line for a BIG hint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If the neighbour is mowing the lawn shorter, then he'll probably re-mow the lawn anyway.

Before planting anything or calling a lawyer, I'd suggest talking to the neighbour again and being firm and direct - politely tell him that you want to maintain your own yard, and that he should stop mowing at the property line. If this still doesn't work, then a hedge would be a good alternative to mark the boundaries of the lot. Getting a lawyer involved would likely just sour relations with the neighbour and cost more than the problem is worth.

Regards,

George Wenzel

Reply to
George Wenzel

Conversation is best. Making sure your neighbor is aware that your yard is important to you, not just that you are taking over cause it's yours..............that kinda thing.

If negotiaitions fail then buy some 3/4" re-bar and make some strong stakes to put up, string them for a while and make sure you put them in just far enough that your mower clears them and the neighbors mower will not If he ruins his mower it's his fault.

Hell, red flag 'em for a couple of months too. make sure he has plenty of "signs" to read each time he mows so he can have a chance to get the message.It's your yard.

but by all means try some conversation first.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Just the opposite... the OP should fertilize and water the section being mowed so it grows faster than the neigthbor can mow it...

-a|ex

Reply to
127.0.0.1

It's called "adverse possession", and would never apply to this type of situation.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

MUADIB® wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This has to be the worst advice on this topic to date. If he or someone else were to be injured from striking a rebar he planted,he could be jailed,and severely fined,perhaps even lose his home.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Plant a hedge.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

don't, it's its.

likewise yours

First, I wouldn't just let this go, as adverse possession laws may apply if you allow it to continue unchallenged and why should you put up with this, it's your property. Since you tried reasoning with him, I'd suggest getting your lawyer to send the neighbor a letter, explaining it's your property and you simply want him to stay off it. After that, if he still continues, I'd make sure there are clear markers in the ground and then, if he's mowing on your property, go out and take pictures of him doing it. If he does it again, then I'd take pictures and this time call the police. They will respond and talk to him. If that doesn't work, next time I'd call the police and file a trespass complaint.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Stop being so damn ambiguous. Don't ask him to raise his mower. Tell him straight out what you want, which is "Do NOT touch my lawn".

You have already tried all sorts of hints, which clearly just cloud the issue. If he had any intention of taking a hint, he would have done so by now. He either thinks you are kidding because of your wimpy, indirect approach, or he is a lout who doesn't give a crap what you think.

Tell him to stop trespassing. If he does it again, you really have no choice but to post the property and have him arrested for criminal trespassing and criminal mischief. Either that or get used to it.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Get a can of fluorescent orange paint. Mark the boundary. Keep it up. It won't hurt the grass. He'll eventually catch on.

Reply to
tnom

Did you ever hear of Adverse Possession, you better learn. He is caring for "his "property in the eyes of the court. You need to stop him, put up some plants and take care of Your property. Has he put up plants or a part fence ? They must go. Yes I know about this, Im in court with a %$#@ ^&*% suing me. Write him a letter certified mail stating he MAY continue to mow if he does so at the proper height and that he has your permission to walk there, this will stop his Easement rights. He must aknowledge the letter and sign it . Learn at FreeAdvise.com

Then again he could be innocent and ignorant. Be carefull or you will have a mess and an enemy on your hands. Bushes and plants are the quiet way of stopping him.

Reply to
m Ransley
[snip]

"Good fences make good neighbors" proverb in "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Actually, that's what the *neighbor* says in "Mending Wall." The poet is disputing this. The whole point of the poem is "Something there is that doesn't love a wall."

Reply to
Tom Miller

I think Frost meant walls make better neighbors than fences. :+)

Tom Miller wrote:

Reply to
Jim

The more I think about it the more I think you should be more forceful. I know a lot of people have suggest letting it ride, but it is your property and your right to control. You don't need to be nasty, but a letter, reminding him that you have asked him and explaining that you don't want him to mow your yard is not going too far. I would include an offer to go over the survey with him so he knows where the boundary is and offer to mediate if he disagrees with the survey.

You might also want to try some on the ideas I already suggested. I would consider a certified letter to help get his attention.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan