Neighbor problem

Page 2 of 4

it's
mower
plenty
home.
Civil war is the best answer to rid the jew squatter problem.
voodoo disease 666

First, I wouldn't just let this go, as adverse possession laws may apply if you allow it to continue unchallenged and why should you put up with this, it's your property. Since you tried reasoning with him, I'd suggest getting your lawyer to send the neighbor a letter, explaining it's your property and you simply want him to stay off it. After that, if he still continues, I'd make sure there are clear markers in the ground and then, if he's mowing on your property, go out and take pictures of him doing it. If he does it again, then I'd take pictures and this time call the police. They will respond and talk to him. If that doesn't work, next time I'd call the police and file a trespass complaint.
@optonline.net says...

No, they probably won't. Property-line disputes are civil matters, not criminal ones. The police have FAR better things to do than worry about neighbours who mow each other's lawns.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

so if someone won't leave your property, don't expect help from the cops? this is more of a trespass than property dispute. it is already proven where the boundary is.
distruction of property (scalping unowned lawn) is criminal.
-a|ex
get.rooted@localhost says...

That's not the situation here.

True, but somebody cutting their neighbour's lawn is no more trespassing than a kid delivering flyers to the door.

Good luck getting a conviction.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid
says...

I agree, the cops generally have bigger fish to fry. However on a call like this, they will very likely go over and talk to the neighbor, which may be enough to solve the problem. It is a trespass issue and the cops would rather be done with it by talking to the guy and at least seeing what he has to say, rather than having it escalate into some kind of confrontation that they have to deal with later.

it's
mower
plenty
is. If you don't, it's its.

ours, and likewise yours

And support the jew court system? Bull.
voodoo disease 666

Police suck. They are equal to dogs which is why they work together.

voodoo disease 666
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:14:46 GMT, MUADIB

This is the best idea I have seen!
Bill
I had a similar issue, and planted a line of small evergreens. Rocks would probably work too, come to think of it. But the rebar wouldn't pull out..I like that one.

actually you'd be suprised.
I use rebar as stakes for our pavilion (tent) and while they hold really really well while in place and under tension, they come out with ease when it is time to pack.
I've used anything from 1/2"x24" to 1"x36+" (which did require a knock or two with a sledge to remove).
--
be safe.
flip
writes:

Putting rebar in the ground in this situation is a very bad idea. Being short, at least partially hidden in the grass, they are an accident waiting to happen. Someone walking along could very easily trip, land on the rebar, and seriously injure themselves.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) writes:

[...]
Then bend over the tops like I did. It only took a vice and a hammer.... of course when I get the forge started it will become a much easier task. ;)
Besides.... if he red flags them for a while (as initially suggested) they should not be tripped over.
Actually, I think just red flagging the border (I assume they mean the thin wire with a red flappy bit) for a while should be a clear enough message.
As far as adverse possession goes, here is my understanding of the matter.
Telling him to raise the mower when he mows the area lets him know that you know it is not his property, and gives him "permission" to voluntarily maintain it, and is not "adverse". He also, by not "correcting" you acknowledges your ownership.
If you asked him to stay off the property, and he doesn't, *then* the clock starts, and "X" (15-20?) years latter (assuming he continues) there might be a claim for adverse possession.
That's my laymans understanding, of course... if you really want to know, hire a lawyer.
--
be safe.
flip

Right. And there's a hostile element to doing that which isn't necessary.
It would be completely effective to plant a hedge in a row marked by a width of mulch. Problem solved in a safe, and usual way, with attendant benefits to boot (drainage, privacy).
Banty
Rod wrote:

Plant a hedge.
-- dadiOH _____________________________

Stop being so damn ambiguous. Don't ask him to raise his mower. Tell him straight out what you want, which is "Do NOT touch my lawn".
You have already tried all sorts of hints, which clearly just cloud the issue. If he had any intention of taking a hint, he would have done so by now. He either thinks you are kidding because of your wimpy, indirect approach, or he is a lout who doesn't give a crap what you think.
Tell him to stop trespassing. If he does it again, you really have no choice but to post the property and have him arrested for criminal trespassing and criminal mischief. Either that or get used to it.
BB
BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
[snip]
    "Good fences make good neighbors"         proverb in "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost

Actually, that's what the *neighbor* says in "Mending Wall." The poet is disputing this. The whole point of the poem is "Something there is that doesn't love a wall."
I think Frost meant walls make better neighbors than fences. :+)
Tom Miller wrote:

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:04:01 GMT, Jim
I think what Frost meant was that some mysterious force of nature didn't like the wall, as nature was always tearing the wall down after the two men rebuilt them over and over. And that maybe we should learn from this -- although the neighbor doesn't seem to get it.
Personally, I think Frost is all wet, but it is a nice poem.
Perhaps more interesting to this news group is a parody of "Mending Wall" called "Mending Sump." It begins, "Hiram, I think the sump is backing up," and proceeds in this manner to "Something there is that doesn't hump a sump, she said...."