Neighbor disputes my property line location

Page 3 of 4

Same here. I can see the 3/4" iron pins. I pointed this out to my neighbor and he says he does not know what those are and ignored the survey.
I think I will wait a week and go talk to him again, if that does not work, then I will take a more drastic approach.
MC
On 6/24/06 8:50 PM, in article 3pKdnTDne8JlmgPZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com,

Such markers are around here, LA, as well. They usually are not on boundaries, the the boundaries can be measured from them. Unfortunately, earthquakes and trees can move them.
Bill -- Ferme le Bush

I metal detect for a hobby. I have located many property markers for people. The brass ones are very very easy to find. The steel stakes are just very easy.
Steve
MiamiCuse wrote:

I'd suggest you just go down to city hall, give them a copy of the survey (and insist they keep it), and indicate where you intend to set the fence. Have them issue you the proper permit for the fence. With that in hand, send a registered letter to your neighbor including copies of the survey, the plans, and the permit, with a request that his vehicle be removed from your property by a specific date. At that point it'll be up to your neighbor to initiate proceedings to stop you, which will mean hiring a lawyer and maybe having another survey done, too. There's a very good chance that his lawyer would just look at your survey and tell him he's got no case.
If you want to play it safer, you could schedule a meeting with the city inspector or engineer, and advise them of the dispute with your neighbor while applying for the permit. That way they won't be caught by surprise if/when the neighbor calls about it. Every city gets calls about fence fights on a fairly regular basis, so their city inspector or engineer could probably advise you as how to handle the dispute. The advantage to this strategy is that you'll have them on your side from the beginning; the disadvantage is that they might want to delay issuing the permit until the dispute is resolved. That's where your providing them with a copy of the survey comes in handy - you're giving them your evidence upfront, which should help them reach their decision.
If your neighbor decides to hold a grudge over you making lawful use of your property, don't feel compelled to keep trying to repair the relationship. Just continue to be civil and hope that he eventually simmers down.
HellT

This is the best post so far.
I definately think it's worthwhile pursuing this, and right now, and with as much legal groundwork laid as possible. This isn't likely a neighbor you'd have a good relationship with anyway, and, if you wimp out about this issue, he's likely to take more advantage.
I had to do some territory-defending with both my immediate neighbors when I moved in, with one we've long made amends and get along well (and they've even admitted their wrong on the early problems, although that wasn't necessary by me); the other has moved away after having pretty much pissed the rest of the neighborhood off on other things.
One thing - make sure a fence on the property line is legal; it is in my munincipaltiy, but not in many. I considered putting up a fence between myself and the problematic neighbor (even in an easment area), and in considering whether or not it should go on the property line or not, some friends and relations pretty much convinced me that putting it on recently surveyed property line is the way to go, as maintaining the ohter side of a fence within my property can be a hassle with a bad neighbor - might as well put it on the line, let him have the nice side (or put up a fence where both sides are nice), write off what paint or whatever he may do on that side, and be done with it.
But this guy is majorly stepping on your toes, and the Nice Neighbor approach has gone as far as it will go. Time to get legalistic and to act according to your interests only.
Banty

Minor correction - I needed to deal with one neighbor when I moved in 12 years ago (the one where we get along fine now), and the other nine years ago after they bought the undeveloped lot next to me and put a house on it. Then decided my backyard was a conduit to wherever they wanted to go, even sending some dozen of guests across it to get to another house's pool. But still. I take a live and let live attitude as much as possible, but the living and let living shouldn't be happening on my property.
Cheers, Banty

Put up the highest fence premitted. Do it fast. This guy is a jerk. Ask the town what to do about him not moving his car.
zapalac wrote:

a angry neighbor can make your life hell....
dogs barking police calls, noisey brawls, nasty friends. just to name a few...
at least try to be nice, and find a impartial person to check out the lines.
we inally moved after a neighbor dispute that began much as this one did. they did EVERYTHING to make us unhappy. were very successful. my grandma bnever really got over moving, and always missed our old home
The best thing to do is make friends, get some booze and food and invite him over. Making an enemy might ruin what you just bought, neighbors of hell exist.
Only if you're a liberal, and don't mind smiling while people are kicking you in the teeth.
-- Cheri
m Ransley wrote in message
The best thing to do is make friends, get some booze and food and invite him over. Making an enemy might ruin what you just bought, neighbors of hell exist.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:15:36 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

It's strange that you think the OP's problem is related to liberal/conservative.
Or maybe you think that any advice that promotes friendship and peace comes from liberals. That's quite an indictment of conservatives.
But you're only speculating. Send the original post to some of your conservative friends, without saying why, and see what their advice is. Please, let us know what they all say.

What's interesting is that there are so clearly two sides to the advice here. I haven't counted how many are on each side, but I think we can see one or more of the causes of war.
Call the local Code enforcement agency and tell them there is an abandoned car on your property. Build your fence and ignore the guy in the future. Muff

What's stupid about that? It works really well where I am. If a car is "junked" meaning it doesn't have current registration etc., sitting in the same place over 72 hours, the code enforcers (in my area Police Partners) are on it in a hurry. Might work a lot better than grabbing your gun, though maybe not as satisfying. :-)
-- Cheri
Abe wrote in message ...

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in

Works the same in my town, also.

"The neighbor has parked a vehicle on the grass with half the car over on my side. The hood is up and the engine is out and he is apparently fixing it in his garage."
It's his neighbor's car, and his neighbor works on it. It's not abandoned or junked. Jeez, how about a little reading comprehension?
On the other hand, if he wants to complain about it as an eyesore, that's a different story.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:25:37 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Those cars are really junked or abandoned. They're stolen and abandoned, and the owners have no way to find them. Or they're abandoned by the owner who is never coming back for them.
So it's usually good to call the police.
The OP knows exactly who this car belongs to. That's why Abe asked his question.

him,perhaps he is an alright guy.