Neew Years Resolutions 2014

Use spell chekker Lose 10 pounds Clean house, throw otu clutter More time studying scriptures Save money and reduce debt load refrain from flaming the damn idiots who screw up this list Any more resolutions that come to mind

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shoot yourself in the head.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

That's the best one of all. You should definitely do that.

Reply to
krw

Last year, I was supposed to lose five pounds but gained it instead.

I am not going to make any resolutions for 2014 as my belt loop is on the last notch.

Reply to
philo

You seem to be in a shitty mood lately.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

To get my single, annual mistake out of the way early so it won't sneak up on me later in the year.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

New car, new computer, new printer..... less searching for repair tips.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Dammit!! I used my last round when I shot muh foot.

Reply to
Guv Bob

...not to make resolutions anymore.

Reply to
Meanie

Work even less. Lose 10 pounds.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

try to save krwless's soul

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Not at all. Whenever a lefty loser has a New Year's resolution to shoot himself in the head, I'm in a great mood. He should get Malformed to go along!

Reply to
krw

I did that 20 years ago. It's worked perfectly.

Reply to
krw

Try to get Malformed to tell the truth or go away.

Reply to
krw

Ya see, the reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25 is because 2000 years ago, that was the shortest day of the year. Now it's December

23rd, but because of the gradual change in the Earth's tilt in it's orbit around the Sun, 2000 years ago the shortest day of the year was December 25th, and the Romans would celebrate that day as the end of one year and the beginning of a new year.

And, being the beginning of a brand new year, the Romans had lots of customs associated with the passing of one year into the next. One of them was that people who loaned money during the year should repay it by December 25th. Also, promises made during the year should be made good by December 25th. Yet another was that any arguments started during the year should be resolved or forgotten by December 25th. All of this was because of the official belief that there was no guarantee that there would be another year starting after December 25th in which to attend to those matters, and so any unresolved issues should be settled by December 25th in case there wasn't another year to follow, and the days kept getting shorter until there was permanent night.

The Romans were wise. December 25th is an excellent time to forget any arguments or hard feelings that arose during the previous 359 days.

Reply to
nestork

Speaking of Romans:

The origin of our word "soap" almost certainly comes for the name of Mount Sopa just outside of the city of Rome.

2000 years ago, Roman women would wash their clothes in the streams that ran off of Mount Sopa after a rain because doing so would get their clothes cleaner than washing them in any other stream or river at any other time.

Nowadays we understand that the reason for this was because Mount Sopa was also the place where Romans would go to make sacrifices to their Gods. Vendors at the base of Mount Sopa would sell small animals and birds to be used as sacrifices to the the God's favour in granting a request. Romans would burn a pidgeon (for example) to ask the God's to ensure their decision to sell their cart is a good one. They might burn a whole lamb to ask the God's favour in ensuring their daughter's marriage is a success.

So, the fat melted off the sacrificial animal's body would mix with the alkaline ash from the wood burned to sacrifice that animal to form a crude kind of soap that would dissolve in the waters that ran down the slopes of Mount Sopa after a rain. It is this dissolved soap that existed in the water of the streams running down Mount Sopa after a rain that was responsible for the fact that clothes cleaned in those streams came out significantly cleaner.

This Earth we live on doesn't come with a User's Manual. We have to learn every thing the hard way... by observation. Whatever doesn't agree with oberserved result must therefore be theoretically wrong, and we have to modify our theory in order for our predictions to agree with what we observe through experimentation.

It's this test of whether or not prediction jives with experimental results that drives the science we call "research". It's only through that research that we actually learn anything about the world around us.

Reply to
nestork

What comes to mind... Get out of the markets before they crash, Buy some gold Buy some bitcoins Change the antifreeze in the car Lose weight Find the lineman's pliers somewhere out in the garage Back up the hard drive Don't get married Buy some stronger reading glasses

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

I'm with you. I resolve to drink more beer and gain more weight. These are resolutions I can keep.

Then there was the guy that resolved to run every day. So far, he has only missed one day.

Reply to
Frank

My New Year's resolution. Not make any resolutions. I'm good so far.

Reply to
willshak

Oops. Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were replying to Stormy, not to that dipshit loon. My filter deletes his messages.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway