Needed - Unusual Cabinet Hinge

I have a furniture piece made of rosewood (ie, heavy) that has a drop-down front door. The door fits smoothly into the cabinet face and is hinged at the door-bottom left and right sides with an unusual recessed hinge. The hinge is two pieces of brass about 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" long, connected with a pivot near the ends of the pieces. One piece is then recessed into the side of the door and the attached piece is mounted into a recess in the cabinet frame -- one hinge on the left side and one on the right side of the door. If my description isn't clear, when the door is opened and closed, the two hinge pieces pivot like the blades on a scissors. When the door is down, it's stabilized by two folding brass down-stays; when up, by two catches on the top of the door. The unit was purchased years ago overseas, so I can't go back to the manufacturer.

The bar was damaged in a move, and the door was ripped from the downstays and the hinges. I have (or can replace) the downstays, but I can't locate any hinges of this style. I've Googled the question and checked a number of manufacturers (SOSS, Amerock, etc.) without success.

This is a quality piece of furniture, so I'd like to find an exact replacement rather than try to jury-rig a home-made replacement. Does anyone know of a source for the hinges?

Reply to
JimR

check here and see if any of these will match..

Reed

Sounds like you're looking for a knife hinge.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

In addition to Lee Valley, there's Rockler and Woodcraft which are good sources for unusual hardware.

Woodcraft is a fairly large US chain, so there's a good chance there's one near the OP if he needs to "see one" in person.

However, I suspect that Lee Valley will have more chance of matching the hardware he's looking for.

Lee Valley doesn't have any retail stores in the US as far as I know - they're all in Canada, so the OP would have to mailorder.

All three of these chains mailorder. LV's mailorder is good and fast - even transborder according to reports - but we don't use it.

Chris, the LV flagship store is less than 5 minutes drive from here... ;-) It's one reason I live in this city! ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis