Need Vent Recommendations for a Masonry Garage w/ Wood and Tar paper Roof

I've got a masonry garage appx 9' tall, 12' deep and 10' wide. Both windows were sealed years ago as is the main garage door. The roof is wood and tar paper. No ventilation gets in there unless I leave the door open. I'd like to put a vent of the roof for air circulation. Would like some recommendations for type of vent., The garage is located in the Baltimore, MD area. Cold winters and hot humid summers.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

How good is the roof? Maybe it would be a good time to re-roof.

In any case I suggest a ridge vent. Even if you don't re-roof the ridge vent should work without a leak. However venting requires a vent system. A single vent, even the whole ridge, will not do much without the other half to let the air in.

If the roof is open to the main garage area, I would consider some low vents. Maybe as part of the windows or just below the windows. You can make them small enough and screen them to prevent entry by two or four legged critters. You might even use the door, a row of 3" holes along the bottom panel with screen over them should do the job. (keep them above the snow line if it tends to build up around the door.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Roof isn't good. I've got to get it repaired. There's nothing under the roof except rafters. What's a ridge vent? I was thing one of the sheet metall cylinder vents with to top that spins in the wind.

I'll do some lower vents, too.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Take this as an opportunity to replace the roof. adding most kinds of venting would not be easy with your current roof

Note, you may need to cut and paste this link.

A ridge vent runs the length of the roof at the top.

Bad idea in my opinion. In most cases you don't need that, the natural flow of hot out will take care of circulation and those turbine things tend to be noisy and to break down. A ridge vent has no moving parts to break down.

Very important. No vent can work if replacement air can't get in.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's a flat roof covered in tar paper. How can I Iuse a ridge vent on it?

Mike

Mike

Oh! I did no see where you noted that it was a flat roof. You are right, you can't use a ridge vent. We have so few flat roofs around here, because they almost all leak, partly because there are so few, the only experience I have with them is one my aunt had over 40 years ago that I worked on. Sorry I can't really offer much advice for this kind of roof other than if it were mine here, I would rebuild it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan