Need to separate the inner tub from the outer on my Kenmore front load

I have a Kenmore model 417 front load washer with something caught between the inner and outer tubs. Whatever is in there is preventing all spinning. I have checked the motor and I know the transmission is fine. I have the outer tub taken apart but I can't get the inner tub separated from the back half of the outer tub. I'm not even sure if the spindle that's accessible from the back is supposed to turn clockwise or counterclockwise, so I don't want to really crank on it. Can anybody help?

Reply to
cnawalker

Hi,

That is the beginning of a model#.

417.########

Front load washers do not have a transmission.

This may help...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

If you have gotten to the point of getting access to basket and tub of your 417 washer, then you are taking on a very aggressive DIY project. With that said, the basket is held onto the rear half of the outer tub simply by the bolt to the main pulley. Remove the bolt, remove the pulley, and the basket shaft should slip right out of the bearings of the rear tub. I should add though that it is unlikely that you have something that has gotten in there that is retarding movement of the basket. I would guess that you have more of a bearing problem. Simply shining a light around between the basket and outer tub should confirm that there is nothing in there, since you have access to do this with the front tub removed. Go ahead, remove the pulley and bolt, and if the basket comes out, then check everything out. If it doesn't, don't try pounding it out; stop there and go to plan B, which is a new basket and tub assembly. You are in luck: Frigidaire makes it easy by producing the whole assembly all put together for you; front half, back half, basket, new pulley all together. I can get the part number for you if you want. Keep in mind though that the retail price of this assembly may lead you to want to replace the whole machine.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Guess what. Pulled the basket and in there I found a little sock (one of my daughter's)all torn up, wrapped around the spindle, and most definitely impeding spin. Once I took the sock out the basket spun like a champ. So now, water goes in and out, clothes go round and round, everything comes out clean, and I bought no parts. Not bad, huh? I have to say, this is not the first time that a small sock has gotten between the basket and the outer tub on this machine and there was no scraping or grinding sound to suggest a bearing problem. I think this model is vulnerable to this problem with small items of clothing and a little bit of overfilling. So, if anybody out there is researching a similar problem on one of these babies, I would advocate checking the interposing sock scenario first.

Reply to
cnawalker