Need to Remove SuperGlue from finger

Page 1 of 2

Just did some repair work around the house and have some dried superglue on one of my fingers. What is good to use to remove it? (I just tried nail polish remover and it did not work)

Time.
It'll come off all by itself within 2 or 3 days.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:55 -0400, "Les"

That often removes some skin, too...
--
Regards,
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:12:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

If it hurts, stop.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

Pull slowly, and don't apply enough force to tear skin.
And if some of it won't come off, just leave it. It will come off by itself as your skin grows and you shed the outer layers.
    Dave
Les wrote:

Be patient. It'll come off in few days itself.
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:50:55 -0400, "Les"

I don't think I would want anything that dissolved superglue touching my skin.

It works if you let it.
Next time, don't even bother with superglue. The only thing it works on is human skin. For everything else, it is too brittle.

About the only effective thing that will remove super glue is time. However, after saying that and have had the same experience (I build and fly large radio Controlled aircraft) try sandpaper. If I have a lump of superglue on my finger I fire up my palm sande with #100 grit paper and sand the lump down. Be carefull though as you could go too deep...just go a bit at a time and it'll dissapear. Jim

Lump? I've had it on my hands, but in a thin layer. Lumps get wiped to a rag, right away. Pumice stones are great. I use one when I have paint, caulk or other things on my hands, etc.
-- Oren

If it bleeds,you've gone too far.....
me,I prefer 240 grit,hand sanding.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Les writes:

Heat gun. Propane torch is faster. Acetylene-oxygen if you're really in a hurry.

The cyanoacrylate (super glue) makers also market a remover, whch is pure acetone. Worth a try.
Joe
seriously today fingernail polish remover isnt heavy in acetone like it used to be. safety issues
use pure acetone from hardware store, or super glue remover, acetone will be cheaper........

Nothing. Use gloves next time.

stuff. Look for 'acetone' on the label. The dirt-cheap generic hair spray works pretty well, too- I used to keep a can around to use as solvent. I find Goop or similar hand cleanser works pretty well, if you scrub a little- once it gets under one edge of the clump, the glue seems to lose its grip.
aem sends...

weekend evening and my wife was on night shift...I had nothing to do on a Friday night (no kids etc)so went into the basement and buried myself into building this radio controlled aircraft that I was about half way through. I had all the amenities in the basement..IE:...a TV with the movie channel happening, the phone close by, and a bottle of skotch. I had gotten to the part in the directions when "superglue" had to be used so I pulled out the new bottle. I stuck a pin in it like it instructed to open it for the first time... It squirted out as I was holding too much hand pressure to the Bulb part of the container. I looked around to see where it landed but couldn't find it. By this time I had half a quart of skotch into me and was busy gluing stuff together when all of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in my right foot. I had glued my foot to the floor right through my socks. My foot had stood on the spot where the superglue exited when I opened it a few minutes before...I had an exacto knife and managed to spatula my foot off the floor, but then had my sock glued to my foot about the area of a quarter. I had to turn the sock inside out and cut the sock away from my foot leaving the fabric stuck to my foot. After several times with sandpaper and about three weeks time, the sock fabric wore off my right foot. I swear to God this is the truth and every time I fly that plane I think of how I glued my foot to the floor. Jimi
Jimi wrote:

Good thing the container didn't land in your lap...