Need to reattach a Ridge Vent which came partially off. What goes under the vent?

The nails popped off of one side of a 8-10 foot section of my ridge vent. I need to 'restuff' insulation, etc. which has blown out during a strong storm. I looked in thereand saw some strandlike grey fiberglass stuff which had blown out in a shredded piece about 4' long.

Is that special insulation or maybe some waterproof membrane that needs to be put back in any particular way?

I can get to the vent and do the work easily enough..I would just like to get everything I need for the repair to do it in one day. Its not a dangerous work situation as its a low slope pitch situation.

There also were some pieces of yellow fiberglass bat insulation, which may have been stuffed in there in the small pieces, or maybe even were from the paper backed batts in the roof at this section (its a cathedral ceiling below it).

There also appeared to be metallic strips in the gap under the ridge vent. Do these hold insulation down...meaning they are put on top of everything else?

The vent was cut-in (about 8 years ago)...30 years after the house was built as it didn't originally have one.

So....basically, I'm looking for tips on how to put this back together correctly. Its that grey fibrous stuff thats my biggest mystery.

Thanks.

Brian

ps The vent (aluminum) came off on the one side during a very strong storm. The nails appeared to be rusty which probably allowed it to disconnect. I plan on replacing the nails with screws.

Reply to
usethisone2007

Still looking for some input. I went up and looked at it again and have read some other posts. I would like to get a new 8' section of vent but I doubt its still available.I think the black/gray strands must have been some sort of weather membrane once attached to the ridge vent. I think it will have to be replaced using something over the counter.

Also, I think I will use ribbed roofing nails, nor screws to reattach the vent.

Thanks

Reply to
usethisone2007

The gray strandlike material sounds like the actual venting mechanism which has the shingles placed on top. A roofing supply company should have this, but I don't know if you will be able to buy it by the foot.

Reply to
John Grabowski