Need to modify door bell

The plastic around the winding and plunger in my door bell melted when the door bell button got stuck in while I was gone. The button is < 2 years old. I can get another, but it could easily happen again. It seems like it could be a fire hazard too.

Is there any kind of mod I can do to keep the bell from melting again if the button sticks? Something I could add that would make the bell go ahead and complete it's 'ding-dong sequence' when the bell is pressed, instead of waiting until the button is released before it 'dongs'?

Reply to
Brent

George E. Cawthon

I suggest you replace the bell and the buttons, try to find quality buttons. If you are really worried, I suggest fusing the low voltage circuit. Measure the current when activated and find an proper sized slow blow fuse device to add to the low voltage side of the supply transformer. That should allow normal operation, but if a button sticks again (a rather rare event in my experience) it should blow and protect the circuit.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

So rare in fact this is the first time I ever heard it happen!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Shitcan the doorbell and get a knocker if you're really that worried.

Reply to
C.J.

OK. It seems the best solution is to install a fuse. As far as finding quality buttons, I'm unsure what a quality door bell button would look like. I thought the one I bought was a quality button.

Reply to
Brent

Reply to
Brent

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

My (ancient) doorbell failed shortly after I moved into my house 26 years ago. Ghostly ringing when no one was there. So I disconnected it. An electrician failed to find the fault, somewhere between the back and front doors and 40-yr-old (then) wiring. I have a brass door-knocker on the front door, and friends and neighbors know to make a noise when they visit. However, door-to-door salespeople, solicitors, and cruising religious just pass without disturbing me.

I cannot identify *any* occasion when I have suffered from from having no doorbell. YMMV.

Reply to
Frogleg

Maybe, last week your ship came in but no one answered the doorbell!

Hey, you never know!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

it. ... I have a brass

I have a somewhat similar arrangement. The old doorbell had a horrible sound, so I disconnected it. Now what? Turned oout to be a two-peace electronic doorbell half of which I hung on a nail outside my door, half of which resides in my kitchen. When I really don't want to be bothered I just lift the outside part off the nail...

Maybe, last week your ship came in but no one answered the doorbell!

Hey, you never know!

zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec