Need to make a THIN stylus for an iPad (that doesn't cost $75)

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75: http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2 http://www.adonit.net
Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?
says...

Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?
Mike.
On 8/30/2015 5:57 AM, MJC wrote:

I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times. Wait a few years, maybe we can rid of some of the BullS%^t Political Correctness. Can't even have Taco night at the frat house without being called racist. Paraphrase of a Greg Gutfeld line.
Mikek

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is more a matter of envy than scorn...
Mike.
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:50:12 +0100, MJC wrote:

Mostly I'm asking how the stylus works.
Like, why doesn't a pencil work? Why doesn't a q-tip work?
What's a stylus do that a finger does but that a paperclip doesn't do?
On 8/30/2015 10:36 AM, ceg wrote:

Oh you mean the stylus is proprietary! he says with scorn, or was it envy.
Mikek
I don't know the answer, it could be interesting.
On 30/08/2015 04:59, ceg wrote:

Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time, probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone? that'll do nicely
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:28:05 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Does cactus thorn have the capacitive effect that is required?
See differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreens: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/differences-capacitive-resistive-touchscreens-si/ Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=make+a+capacitive+stylus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=nTvjVafJFLGd7gbrpbiACQ
Kenny
"ceg" wrote in message
A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75: http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/stylus/intuos-creative-stylus-2 http://www.adonit.net
Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Kenny wrote:

My Blackberry Playbook uses some odd system, nothing I tried or cooked up worked. My Microsoft Surface 2, however, seems to not be picky, I can use a 1.99 stylus from the dollar store.
Michael
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:25:10 +0100, Kenny wrote:

I like the one made with the back end of a pencil, using a tack in the eraser holding down a four-inch length of straightened paper clip.
I'll get to work on it right away.
Look on ebay for thin stylus - a few cents to <$20 seems to cover the range. I got 10 for $4 when I got my tablet and am using my 4th one after 3 yrs.

On 8/29/2015 11:59 PM, ceg wrote:

How about a toothpick?
Too small, maybe a chopstick.
You don't want to scratch the screen.
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:14:52 -0400, Frank wrote:

A toothpick won't work.