Need to cut floor board i

Blueman:

B > I have to remove a length of floor board to access underneath. This B > will require me to cut the floor board. B > B > - What is the best way to do this neatly? i.e., how do I get a saw B > started so that it only cuts the one plank that I want to cut. B > - Will a sawz-all type tool work? (if so, how do I get it started) B > B > Note the floor board is hardwood that is about 4" wide by 1" thick

Not sure how to cut but before cutting think of what you need to do when replacing. I would try to cut in the middle of the joist, plus put a 2x4 nailed to the side of the joist for support of the piece you removed.

  • Don't pop someone elses bubble.
Reply to
barry martin

A professional showed me how to do this once. He kindly allowed me to use my own 7 1/4" circular saw, and later I realized that my saw blade was being used to cut through the metal staples that hold the hardwood boards down. You will consider retiring the saw blade after a few boards are taken up, but overall it works pretty well. Set your depth of cut to correspond to the thickness of the wood, and cut two parallel strips along the long edges of the board, about 1cm in from each side to cut the staples or nails. On the female side of the T&G you will want to be back a little to avoid amputating the tongue of the adjacent board. To start the cut, fire up the circular saw with it partly on it's nose, so the blade is off the wood, then carefully tip the saw back until it is cutting the underlying board. Hold carefully so if it jumps you won't be cut or injured. After the two cuts are made, use a small prybar to pry up the board and debris. This technique will obviously sacrifice the board so you will need a replacement, hopefully matching the stain of the adjacent boards. Once one board is up, you can pry the remaining boards off more easily.

Dave

"barry martin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@MoonDog.BBS...

Reply to
Dave