Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Page 6 of 6
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hmm, I'd steam clean it fisrt and see.

It's probably algea. Tiled worktops/counters are extremely unhygenic, people get food poisoning from bugs living in the cracks which can't be properly cleaned,
Danny D wrote, On 5/29/2013 2:05 PM:

If its crud you don't need a screwdriver to remove it. If it's crud, some soapy water and a brush will remove it, do they?
--
dadiOH

On Thu, 30 May 2013 05:08:18 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Yes. Before:
After:

A problem was the brass brush dulled the "tiles" a bit; so I should have used a softer brush (e.g., a toothbrush).

DADD- Looks like your wife was right (again) ....despite her warning you F'd up again. Now you have a nice groove to act as a real crud catcher and you've given her maint problem.
Often times stone tiles are set with epoxy grout...my experience, epoxy grout is a better adhesive but is softer. Stop messing with it.

A simple test is to put some of the crud in her mouth. If it is grout, it will have no taste... If it is crud, it will make her throw up.... By observing the effect, you will either win or lose the argument....

DADD-
You better find a job within your area of experience. If your wife loses patience you might wake up dead.

It's crud to me. Any recessed gap like those on a countertop are bound to collect crud. My bathroom floor tiles are much better grouted and easier to sanitize than that countertop. If it wasn't crud it wouldn't scrape put with a screwdriver. And if it's soft grout, it's still crud. Countertop grout should be hard, otherwise you might as well call it caulk. It's probably a poorly mixed grout in there. Clean it out and re-grout using a properly hard-setting grout, flush or almost flush with the top. I'm not even thinking about food safety, which is a real issue. Just the thought of food being prepped around crud is unappetizing. Your choice is epoxy or cement based, colored black. I'd probably use cement, and if didn't work out after some years, I'd grind out the top 3/16" or so and try epoxy. That's not a big job on your countertop.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:57:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

I plan on cleaning "her" oven at night, when nobody's looking. I'm gonna hit that "clean" button, and let 'er bake. In the morning, it will be all clean, and she won't know how.

Based on this thread alone... if his wife kills him, it will clearly be a case of justifiable homicide. She spend less time in jail than Martha.

All the proof the defense needs is in this thread alone. With lots of other supporting evidence in others<eg>

Obviously you never used the clean button before. It locks the door and heats it up so hot as to *cook* it clean and it does smell like something is burning
Danny D wrote:

You don't need, nor want, to convince the wife of anything.
Remember, if your wife is happy and you're not, you're still happier than if you were happy and she wasn't.