Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Page 5 of 6
On 5/30/2013 10:10 AM, Danny D wrote:

that's why god invented self cleaning ovens. i just run a cycle, and there's nothing left but a white-ish powder. i just don't that often in the summertime because it adds a lot of heat into the house.
On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700, ImStillMags wrote:

I've never cleaned an oven before. It would be interesting to see what's in the oven cleaners, and then see if we can find the same stuff at the hardware store.

That wouldn't be in keeping with the charter of alt.home.repair!

I noticed (:-0
Janet UK

He needs to take it out of the kitchen and hit it with a sandblaster and power washer. Of course he'll probably use gasoline and blow it up.
Just sayin'.
says...

Meoww...
On Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:41:58 AM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:

Oh! Oh! That oven looks like it needs cleaning...put that on your list before you forget. Please use proper gloves and use a recommended oven cleaner. Do not inhale the fumes...they will burn the lungs.
On Thu, 30 May 2013 09:01:50 -0700, Roy wrote:

Makes no sense to clean an oven without understanding HOW the oven cleaning process works (and what it is that is happening to the crud, and what that crud actually is).
I looked up oven cleaners, and the EPA says they're just potassium or sodium hydroxide but it doesn't say HOW they work or what it is that they're cleaning.
Googling a bit more, I see that "saponification" of the baked on oils and fats is apparently the main mechanism. Hmmm... how does lye do that? I wonder...
Never having cleaned an oven, I wonder aloud why not just soap & water; but then I read all the reports on how "elbow grease" is the key ingredient for good results, despite manufacturer's claims to the contrary.
Googling for "how oven cleaners actually work", I see people recommend anything but soap and water!
They use: a. Lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide) b. Diethyl glycol alkyl ethers c. Ethanolamine d. Ammonia e. Citrus oils f. Baking soda + vinegar g. Borax h. Washing soda (whatever that is + dish detergent i. Salt (sodium chloride) (and probably a few more)
I'm going to sign up for Consumer Reports and see what they have to say about how oven cleaners really work.
REF: http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/chemicalfree-natural-oven-cleaning-2677.html http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/kitchen/ovens-and-cooktops/oven-cleaners-review-and-compare/page/cleaning%20chemicals.aspx http://housekeeping.about.com/od/productreviews/tp/Top-6-Oven-Cleaners.htm http://www.slowyourhome.com/2012/05/07/green-clean-oven/

http://greenliving.nationalgeographic.com/chemicalfree-natural-oven-cleaning-2677.html

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/kitchen/ovens-and-cooktops/oven-cleaners-review-and-compare/page/cleaning%20chemicals.aspx

Do *not* use those if you have a self cleaning oven!

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/productreviews/tp/Top-6-Oven-Cleaner...htt p://www.slowyourhome.com/2012/05/07/green-clean-oven/
Big Snip

more snipage
.....chemistry?

You worry too much. If it's bread, it will be baked. If it's pasta, it will be cooked. Germs likely killed by heat; just consider any grit to be high fiber. HTH.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com , as of April 8, 2013.
On 5/29/2013 12:17 PM, Danny D wrote:

sandless grout is softer than sanded grout. i have 1' granite tiles with very thin grout lines. grout should be just below the surface of those tiles, and smooth. either it was a bad job, or it's crud.
you might put a paper towel over the lines, dampened with a strong gleaner (409 or such) for a while. see if it gets really soft. if so, it's crud.
this is why granite slab is so popular, btw. no grout.
On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:25:24 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I'll try that (when the wife leaves the house), and report back.

I must agree. It's crazy to have places that will just trap crud.
Same thing with the edge of the counter behind the sink; it should be a smooth curve!

That's why I have formica.
but you have something fancier. Don't mess it up.
The first two pictures look black. Where did your family find black crud to match the black grout?. I'd leave it alone until she complains, and even then I might leave it alone.
I'm a guy and no feminist, but I'd be made if someone messed up my kitchen after I told, or asked, him not to. And even those with 100% A records make mistakes.
I spilled some inkjet ink from a printer on my bathroom floor, and I had to dig a long way to get all the colored grout out. Then I had to fill the trench I had made. The home builder probably used the stuff mixed from a powder, but I got the stuff that's like butter but stickier. I hope they match. I've stopped looking.

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?
On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:47:01 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

It's soft. It's cruddy. When I scraped it away, a beautiful "V" shaped crevice resulted.
On the other hand, the "v" crevice isn't flush with the material.
BTW, is this granite or fake granite or what? How can I tell?

When compared to a steel screwdriver, grout *is* soft. As for "cruddy"... maybe it wasn't a very good grout job.

When you're scraping it out with the corner of a screwdriver, what else would you expect??

Of course not. You scraped some of the grout out.

Try to gouge the granite -- on the underside -- with your screwdriver. If you can, then it's a synthetic composite material; if the screwdriver gets worn down, it's probably real.
On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:06:33 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I looked this morning, while the wife was still asleep, & it seems that there *is* a slight lip at some of the distant "tiles".

great idea

Considering the color of the countertop and the evenness of the color, I'd say it is grout. It may pick out easy, but if not careful, you'll f-up the entire counter. It may need sealing or regrouting.
Ed Pawlowski;3070551 Wrote: >

If that grout can be scraped out with a small screw driver like that, then it wasn't done properly from the start. I would have been soft and easily scraped away since the tiling was done.
If the grout does scrape out easily like that, then I'd regrout that top.
If there are tiles on the backsplash and floor tiles on the floor, I'd check the grout in those places as well.
--
nestork