Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

It's the continuous cleaning ovens that you have to be careful of, not self-cleaning.

If that oven is the same as mine, the top oven self-cleans and the bottom one is do-it-yourself. That's why I bake things that don't make a mess (like bread) in the bottom oven and save anything messy for the top one.

Reply to
sf

I love spending time with my wife. That is because we spend time apart. No plans to retire until I'm 70+. Besides, I have a job I really like.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It might be nuts for *some* industries; but read this quote from the New York Times regarding the Long Island Railroad:

"Virtually every career employee ? as many as 97 percent in one recent year ? applies for and gets disability payments soon after retirement,".

REFERENCE:

Danny D

That makes dumb, stupid, ocd, & lazy to be added, and that's just from this one thread alone!

:)

Reply to
Danny D

Are 12 year olds posting to alt. home repair? If it only went to

500°, there would be no reason for the door to lock.
Reply to
sf

and a bitchslap to the kid

Reply to
ChairMan

Do *not* use those if you have a self cleaning oven!

Reply to
Julie Bove

That's 2008. The article mentions an investigation. Here's one from 2012:

where some of them are caught.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yes, at least one 12 year old. The one that just calls names and contradicts without providing any information.

I didn't look up the number, so call me names. We all know smart adults like you are right all the time.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Let's hope that this 97% number does not span industries ... otherwise we're doomed.

Reply to
Danny D

The article is pretty clear isn't it?

It's the LIRR. (Long Island Rail Road.) Rode it many times, BTW.

There's nothing there to suggest the problem goes beyond the LIRR, in fact they cited other rail roads with much lower rates as evidence something was wrong.

No need to invoke the doom monster.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I know. Personally, I suspect 90% or so of disability claims are bogus, but I have no facts to back that up.

All I know is that I worked with broken legs, and I never took a day of disability in my life.

I can see if you're in a horrible car accident, with brain damage, etc., or you're paralyzed, but, from my somewhat naive experience with people, they're (mostly) faking it.

Again, I have no data (well, I *do* have the LIRR data, but we must assume that almost 100% disability figure is an anomaly).

I *do* watch everyone who parks in the handicap spots though, and I probably see 2% to 5% of them actually disabled, although I fully realize they may simply be violating the spirit of the agreement when other people use the plates who aren't the officially disabled person.

For someone to suggest I'm on disability defies reason.

Reply to
Danny D

Aargh! People like you make my blood boil! There are plenty of disabilities that aren't obvious. Some people have a heart problem or something like that which means that they can't walk very far or very fast. People don't have to *look* disabled to be so.

There are also mental illnesses that render people disabled. Those people wouldn't likely need the handicapped parking spot unless there are other issues there. I do know of several people who fall into this category. Their minds just don't work in such a way that allow them to do a job on a consistent basis.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Broken legs heal. That's not a disability.

Anecdotes are not data. When you have a disabled person in the family you can get disabled plates. You don't need to have a disabled person in the car to use the plates.

Yep.

Despite DD's other attempts to find out how things work, in this case he just want's to believe the worst about people he doesn't know.

Makes me wonder why despite his quirks, I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reply to
Dan Espen

My responses were all regarding this JoeBro statement:

Reply to
Danny D

Agreed.

However, when I went to DMV, they said I could move to the front of the line simply because I was on crutches. I refused, saying I could wait in line just as long as anyone else, as it was only fair to the people ahead of me.

I agreed with that and was very clear that my only statistics (since I haven't researched the subject) are that almost 100% of the retirees from a certain railroad for a certain year were (and many still are) obtaining disability benefits.

I have (and said I had) very little experience with disabled people, perhaps because my profession wasn't one which required anything more than a working brain and fingers that can type.

I don't disagree one bit.

I had stated that, in other words; so I fully agree with you.

Plus, not all disabilities are overtly visible.

In addition, the drivers can be picking up disabled people who are not yet in the vehicle, and for that, it's helpful to have a convenient parking spot.

I just think there is fraud & corruption in government, and the LIRR statistics show me that, in some instances, it's immense; so for someone to intimate that I'm fraudulently retired on disability is to cause an affront to my very soul.

I apologize for reacting to that comment; it was in a moment of weakness where I felt I needed to defend myself. Mea culpa.

Reply to
Danny D

DADD-

You better find a job within your area of experience. If your wife loses patience you might wake up dead.

Reply to
DD_BobK

really? then why all the follow posts & annotated photos?

Reply to
DD_BobK

Reply to
DD_BobK

Sort of quasi-government. Originally private, then "bailed out" by New York State.

Thanks for showing some class. You've restored my faith in you.

Reply to
Dan Espen