Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Page 4 of 6
On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:55:13 -0400, willshak wrote:

All I really want to know, is if it's crud or grout. I'll run the 409 test, and report back.
If it's grout, it stays; if it's crud, it goes.
On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:55:13 -0400, willshak wrote:

Crud doesn't bother me normally - but - the real reason I care is the wife uses the countertop to make bread or pastries or pasta most mornings - and - well - if she only knew what I *think* is on her countertop ... she'd stop making the stuff.
Here's what I found lying on the counter this morning, ready for cooking:

If she figured out it was crud, then I'd have nothing to eat for breakfast anymore.

There is a difference between being on the counter or being on a plastic sheet on the counter I'm willing to bet that 1) your wife cleans the counter regularly 2) Most food is NOT placed on the actual counter when being prepped 3) food that is placed on the counter will most likely be cleaned or peeled after contact with the counter
Maybe you need to engage brain a bit more
On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:16:07 -0500, Attila Iskander wrote:

I was remiss in not mentioning that she rolls bread & pasta flour on the counter top all the time (you'll notice the white powder embedded in the "grout" cracks in the previous photo).

All "that" is in these:

Anyway, I will discreetly clean her counter top when she's not in the kitchen (which is pretty much when she's sleeping) because breakfast is ready (it's just missing the ice cream inside):

You might take a stab at cleaning the oven while you're at it. :-)
Seriusly though. There isn't much grout in that countertop. You should have someone come and fix that problem for you and then you won't have stuff hiding in there.

No kidding. There's no sanitizing the stuff down in those cracks. Not a good place to prepare food.
MartyB
On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:13:29 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

I think once an oven starts RUSTING means it's time to get a new oven.
-sw
On Thu, 30 May 2013 11:10:47 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

That's the danger of posting pictures; people see how you 'really' live! :)
Actually, that's not rust. I had a look and it's just "crud" (from a pot-roast spill, I believe).

Q: What chemical do you use to clean these ovens?
Googling for "oven cleaner chemicals", I see this EPA article: http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/oclean.htm
Which says oven cleaners are just sodium or potassium hydroxide. Hmmm... I wonder if the plumbing section at the hardware store is where I should get my oven cleaner?
Have you ever tried the lye for plumbing in the oven?

Caution. Modern ovens are self cleaning. Don't be going the chemical route on self cleaning ovens.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

It does have a "Clean" button, but I'll need to google for the instructions to figure out how to use it.

(Or is it as simple as you just press the thing? Or do you put water inside, or a cleaning solution?)

lol why do I get the impression you are trying to make fools of the good folk here:)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Don't bother him, he's busy trying to make toothpaste out of kerosene.
And he apparently has no clue he's crossposting.

lol

Or maybe ...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

can you say "anal"?

On mine, you press clean, then the option for how long you want to clean, starts at 2 hours and you can increase or decrease. Within a minute the door locks and the cleaning starts. When the cleaning is over, the door will stay locked until cooling down is completed, then wipe down the whole interior with a damp cloth, and a little elbow grease on the glass door. I love the self cleaning ovens, but you do need to do it before the oven is completely nasty to get the best results.
Cheri

Instructions are online. Remove anything loose with damp rag, close, engage lock, press clean. Temperature in oven goes to 500F.
Turn on exhaust fan and do in summer with doors and windows open if you can.
After done, wipe away ashes with damp rag.
Do not use cleaners ever.
--
Dan Espen

Are 12 year olds posting to alt. home repair? If it only went to 500°, there would be no reason for the door to lock.

Yes, at least one 12 year old. The one that just calls names and contradicts without providing any information.
I didn't look up the number, so call me names. We all know smart adults like you are right all the time.
--
Dan Espen

Do it at a time when it won't be needed. Live overnight. Be prepared for a smokey smell. Push the button. Then slide the lock on the door. It's that simple.

It's the continuous cleaning ovens that you have to be careful of, not self-cleaning.
If that oven is the same as mine, the top oven self-cleans and the bottom one is do-it-yourself. That's why I bake things that don't make a mess (like bread) in the bottom oven and save anything messy for the top one.