Need to attch porcelain fixture to drywall or plasterboard wall

Hello,

I have a towel rack in my bathroom that has porcelain ends that appeared to be just drywalled?? or plastered into the wall. There is no bracket to attach the end to the wall. The fixture is countersunk a bit and not just flush with the wall surface. The bathroom is wallpapered so it is cut to fit around the end. I looked in your "Glue what to what?" section but it did not mention how to glue porcelain to a drywall or plasterboard wall. The house was built in 1971 so, not sure if this is drywall or something else. Can you suggest a product? Home Depot suggested a Hydraulic Cement. I picked up Drylock Fast Plug. However, this states it is really for masonry or concrete. I have not opened it yet as I am waiting on your response.

Thank you.

Reply to
masterrom

I smell some previous owner DIY here. If there really isn't a bracket, I'd bet there was supposed to be one- is there an indentation on the back of the porcelain end piece? If not, it was a fixture intended for use in a tile field, to be held in with thinset and and the surrounding tile. (maybe that wall used to be tiled, and the 'inset' you mentioned is a hole in skim coat over old thinset or mastic? ) If there is an indentation in the porcelain, I'd run a screw into the wall, or a molly with the screw left extended, and epoxy, with the non-runny putty stuff. If I wasn't really in love with that rack, I'd just trash it and replace it with a conventional bracket-mount, if I could find one that would cover the hole in the wallpaper.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Read the recent thread in this newsgroup titled "ceramic towel rack to ceramic wall". That should answer some of your questions.

RicodJour

It's always a bit diffcult to reccomend something for a situation like this when you cant see it. One thing for certin, glue isn't the answer. No matter how good the glue is it is only as strong as what you are gluing it too. In the case of dry wall, you are gluing to paper or plaster. No holding strength there. The previous post mentioned molly bolts. That's what is usually used to mount something like this unless you are lucky enough to have your attachment point fall on a stud.

Reply to
dougfollett

is the objective to pull the rack off the wall and remount it? I did some that were designed to fit the same as a 4.25" wall tile, and they were made by American Olean, I think, as a tile accessory. Also, soap dishes, etc. I just used a premium quality mastic type tile cement and glued them to fresh greenboard. There are about 10 of these in three bathrooms in three different rental units, and after 23 years and maybe 20+ tenants, it's all still in perfect condition. Keep in mind is that if someone is going to hang an anvil or something from the towel rack, it would probably also pull out a moly bolt or bracket attachment. Towels weigh a few ounces.

bill

Reply to
rider89

I took some pics if it will help with this I can send them to you. If so send let me know your email address. Mine is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. This post will apply to all the others also that responded, and thank you.

Reply to
masterrom

Okay, now! Instead of sending attachments to people, why not use one of those free picture posting web sites? Post it there and provide a link in your next post. Much better way to do it. A newsgroup is an open forum, and the give and take will help you zero in on the correct answer. Otherwise you might get some advice from a person or two and it might not be the best advice. You like alternatives, right?

RicodJour