Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

So definitely NOT a roof leak. It will likely be a caulking issue - and possibly a drainage issue on the balcony above as well. Not easy to find at the best of times.

Reply to
clare

I think that is insane! If the ceiling is saturated, it might come crashing down. I would pester the daylights out of the owner (or management company?!) Is the roof obviously in bad condition? Live in a condo?

Reply to
Norminn

They're forecasting a major blizzard for Massachusetts.

My ceiling probably has another 48 hours to live.

Unless dry snow doesn't get into that crack as easily as liquid water can. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply to
Steven L.

I'm on the second floor of a 3 story apartment building.

The ceiling is leaking right near the wall where the left side of my deck is.

I suspect that rainwater is pooling on the deck of the apartment above mine, and then seeping through some crack in the outside wall there down onto my ceiling.

I went out onto the deck to take a look. Sure enough, the mortar between several of the bricks in the outside wall just below the upstairs deck is gone. Completely worn away, leaving some big holes. I tried caulking those as best I could.

One of the maintenance guys promised me he'll try to fix it again tomorrow.

Because we're getting a major blizzard on Friday (1-2 feet of snow). And when THAT snow melts and seeps into the wall, my ceiling is doomed.

Reply to
Steven L.

The maintenance guy promised me he'll try once again to fix it tomorrow. That's the third try.

We're about to get a big Nor'easter storm on Friday.

If my ceiling collapses--after *three* attempts by the maintenance people to fix this--do I have any legal recourse?

I mean it's not just the physical damage that a collapsed ceiling will do. It's also that there's probably a ton of mold/mildew already up there from the moisture, and with the ceiling gone, now I'm going to be breathing in all that crap as well. I have sinus and bronchitis problems already, and I don't need to be breathing in what is likely to be found up there!

Reply to
Steven L.

It's an apartment, right? Move! They certainly can't hold you to a lease if they can't fix a leak.

Reply to
krw

Likely WRONG advice at this point but if the ceiling collapses or floor becomes unsafe to walk upon, etc... then the OP may have a case to break the lease. Hopefully this is covered in his lease. It is in Texas std. apt or residential leases.

Another option if the OP wants, is to ask the manager if he can relocate into another unit either permanently or until the leak is fixed. Some managers will accomodate the tenant if a unit is available.

Reply to
Doug

clipped

There might also be local code re repairs to rental homes and when the renter is excused from breaking the lease....damned if I'd stay in a rental with leaky ceiling without raising heck :o)

Reply to
Norminn

If you were able to seal it too well, the whole attic would fill with water and eventually collapse the whole structure. That could really suck! However, you'd never seal it that good.

So far no one has mentioned going into the attic when it's raining, and putting a bucket up there where the water is coming in, and while you're at it, take a marker and mark the spot on the underside of the roof where the water is coming in. That might help the maintenance people find the leak. It dont sound like they are too bright anyhow.

You might suggest to the landlord that he find some better maintenance people, or hire some real roofers. And while you're at it, explain that you could find another place to live if this continues, because it's damaging your __xxxxxx__.

Reply to
homeowner

The landlord is sending the repairman multiple times so it sounds like the landlord is trying. I don't think getting mad at the landlord is going to help but asking to relocate might be an option.

As to the cost to relocate, I suppose you can ask but not sure if the landlord is legally responsible for this. In Texas, the property code spells out when you can break a lease without legal consequences.

Reply to
Doug

IIRC, Steve mentioned it looks like the problem is the level above him, the window porch collects water, which is coming in the wall. So, going into the attic won't be much help.

.

If you were able to seal it too well, the whole attic would fill with water and eventually collapse the whole structure. That could really suck! However, you'd never seal it that good.

So far no one has mentioned going into the attic when it's raining, and putting a bucket up there where the water is coming in, and while you're at it, take a marker and mark the spot on the underside of the roof where the water is coming in. That might help the maintenance people find the leak. It dont sound like they are too bright anyhow.

You might suggest to the landlord that he find some better maintenance people, or hire some real roofers. And while you're at it, explain that you could find another place to live if this continues, because it's damaging your __xxxxxx__.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OP didn't say who sent the maintenance people (or I didn't read the post that indicated that)....I didn't suggest beating up the landlord, but if one understands the possible consequences of the leak continuing, then I'd be on his case and persist :o) I've encountered some really lousy landlords, so there are lots of possibilities...sounds like an older building....an old retiree owner with a crank "handyman", or realestate holding co. with another co. managing? Highly unwise for an owner to hire hacks who don't properly handle water leaks.

Even with code clearly on the side of the renter doesn't mean things go well :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Who in their right mind is going to move all there stuff from one apartment to another because of one small leak in the ceiling that can be contained with a bucket? That to me is far more disruptivde than having a bucket around until the leak can be located and fixed. And it doesn't make any sense from the landlord perspective either. The leak has to be fixed or they can't rent it to someone else.

Locating it is the problem. It sounds like it's a leak from some point on an exterior wall, not a roof leak. Those can be hard to find and it's not unusual for it to take several attempts to solve it, even when the landlord is doing all the right things.

Reply to
trader4

I would put what you outlined above in a letter and send it to the landlord. Put dates in it of when you first notified them, when the multiple repair attempts were made and take pictures of the outside missing mortar. If they've made 3 attempts to fix it and you can see obvious missing mortar in the area of the problem, then the repair guys don't know what they are doing. I'd also take pics of the inside ceiling, send that too.

That establishes clear documentation of what has happened and what state it's still in. Tell them that this is unacceptable and it needs to be fixed immediately. That could spur them to action or if not and it later comes to you breaking the lease or damage to stuff in your apartment, you have good documentation

Reply to
trader4

As usual, Dumbie, you're full of shit.

Idiot.

Reply to
krw

No one has mentioned that because per his description of the leak, it's coming from an exterior wall, not the roof.

Reply to
trader4

I agree.

Reply to
Doug

I agree. I was merely giving another idea to consider if it annoys the OP that much. There are a lot of unknowns here

I agree here. Sometimes it's best to fix when it's actually wet and leaking. As a landlord myself, I would give the repair guy 2 or 3 shots and then consider someone else to fix. Besides annoying the tenant, if it lasts too long, it may affect more and cost more to fix.

Reply to
Doug

Ok but please go to the doctor and fix your meds.

Reply to
Doug

Is there snow/ice buildup on the deck above? If so, it might be a good idea to get with that neighbor to see if you can help clear it and then try to clear after the storm. This is starting to bring back memories of similar problem in the apartment I lived in as a child (Loooong ago) :o)

Reply to
Norminn