Need Suggestions on How To Remove Paint From Glass

I have a clear, smooth glass shower door that came from the factory with painted white stripes on it. I want to remove a couple of the more narrow stripes as they have deteriorated..

I've tried different types of paint strippers, but none worked. Is there some kind of polishing compound that might remove the paint without damaging the glass? Maybe a polishing compound I could use with a Dremel buffing tool? Or maybe some other method? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
kc

"kc" wrote in news:1176278554.831151.279560 @e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

If it's paint, use a razor scraper. If it's a decal, heat it with a hair dryer to loosen the glue, then use the scraper.

Most likely it's etched. In that case, use new glass.

Reply to
Steve

If paint remover will not remove it, it is probably a baked on finish.. probably would break if you tried to remove it. Less expensive to take the door to the shop for new glass.

Reply to
Norminn

If you want the paint remover to work, try using a better paint remover. What paint remover did you use? That and removing the glass and placing it do that it's horizontal so that you can more easily let the paint remover soak in for a good while.

Reply to
scott21230

A shower door uses tempered safety glass that shatters into tiny bits if damaged. It comes in a fixed size and cannot be custom cut by a glazier to fit. That said the paint is likely baked on to resist the extreme environment of hot water and soaps. Its unlikely you can remove the remaining "paint" without extreme measures (hot scraping) and risk breaking the glass.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Re-paint.

Reply to
HeyBub

It can be custom cut and tempered afterward. Our local glass shop did this for us to use as kitchen backsplash. They sent it back to supplier to be tempered, but even so was very reasonable.

Reply to
Norminn