Need suggestions for repairing ceramic birdbath pedestal

A group of javalina (I live in Arizona) knocked over my ceramic birdbath. The pedestal is hollow and made from what looks like the same red clay used for flowerpots (glazed on the outside). All the broken pieces are on one side, so the pedestal still stands up.
I have all the pieces, and they fit together tightly. What I'm looking for is an appropriate weatherproof structural adhesive to put the pedestal back together.
Since the pieces fit so well together, I don't believe that an epoxy putty would work.
What do the experts here recommend?
(Having learned my lesson, I will put a pipe in the ground to keep the birdbath from being knocked over again.)
Thanks for any suggestions.
Northe Green Valley, AZ

I've had good luck with JB weld and ceramics, aside from leaving a telltale gray outline. Epoxy, of some sort, is your likely best choice.
Northe wrote:

So use a regular epoxy (non-putty).
--

dadiOH
____________________________

How about crazy glue?

Best choice. Use a water-clear slow cure two part epoxy. Once cured, some JB WEld for back up/reinforcement wouldn't hurt. Some china restoration shops use cyanoacrylates (Whoopee Glue) which can be found now in a lot of useful different formulations. Pricey but fast, one could get the assembly together piece by piece in minutes. Again, an epoxy reinforcement would add needed strength.
Joe
dadiOH wrote:

The stuff they sell for putting the cap blocks on those dry-stack retaining walls should probably work, if you can squish the parts together tight enough. Scrape off any excess that oozes out before it sets up, of course. May have to do the repair in several stages, so you can get the rope or webbing around it to clamp it. Doing it with epoxy would likely cost more than a new birdbath.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I guess that depends upon where you buy the epoxy...last I bought was $65 for 1 1/2 gallons. Just $15.50 for 24 oz. The little tubes (25 ml or so) at HD, Lowes. Ace, etc are usually under $5, don't know how much OP needs.
I once put back together a largish (30" high) vase with white glue, couple of hundred pieces from large to tiny, still together 30 years later. That wouldn't be any good for something outside but Titebond II should be OK for the pedestal, not for the water tray.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Have you bought your hunting license yet? <G>
Joe
Northe wrote:

http://www.thistothat.com /
TDD
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:44:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas

That link showed up here, before...a good reminder from you.
Thanks to Eric, Joe, aem, etc.
I'm going to try liquid nails to put the pieces together. One of the salespeople at the local hardware store said that she'd had good results with fixing several red clay pots using the stuff. I may back up the inside with epoxy.
Northe
Northe wrote:

Bummer of a choice unless you don't give a rats' patootie about appearance...just use a good epoxy

Yup - Liquid nails is an awful choice and will likely leave you with all types of messy smudges and since it is so thick, it is likely to give a poor bonding if the join between the ceramic parts is truly hairline.
A high quality, slow cure two part epoxy (like West System's) without any filler is the perfect solution. If necessary you can strengthen the joint by filetting with various epoxy+filler combinations +/- fiberglass tape but my guess is that if the pieces truly fit that tight together then just epoxy alone will be more than sufficient.
Liquid nails is for bonding subfloors, panelling, sheathing etc...

I'm guessing that's because the sales person has never tried a real 2 part epoxy like West Systems or a similar product.
Head over to your local Marine Supply shop and check out their epoxy aisle.
On Monday, February 15, 2010 at 9:49:10 AM UTC-5, Northe wrote:

Fill the pedestal with after you glue it back together. Dave